New Behringer Desk

Pete Alcock

Dear Forum,

I was looking on the Behringer site yesterday for compressors and so on (they do low cost, but jolly good, sound gear by the way). Anyway they've only brought out a DMX 24ch lighting desk. Now I reckon that for £189 including VAT, this is going to create quite a stir.

Has anybody seen or used one yet?

All the best,

Pete.

Behringer Lighting Desk

+10v and DMX out seems too good to be true - even the MX or Alcora/Elara's (presumably its main competition) dont manage that, and they cost a lot more than £189

I've been very pleased with my mixing desk I bought from Behringer at christmas. Certainly would have paid double for a similar spec'd desk from Soundcraft - must be the Chinese manufacturing that brings the price down.

Not very sure what the purpose of this posting is... I expect someone (? Mr Need) will have one someone could have a look at - either that or if ever member was to send me £1 I could buy one (purely for test purposes, you understand)

Peter

I'll take 50p, and some 743 barndoors from each member...

B)

Does look like it could be onto a winner. At £190 or so I'd buy one just to be able to do really really small gigs at a really really low price... So, come on, I'm passing the tin round. Put your money in and pass it around, so we can all have a butchers!

Stu

Quote from Spec Sheet

"Two additional, multi functional channels for special effects (Such as Smoke Machines or Colour Scrollers)"

Mmmm, sounds interesting...

Stu

Dear All,

An update on the new little desk... Spoke to Behringer today - availability in the UK within 8 weeks. It's being launched at a show in Frankfurt this week aparently.

Cool that they've got the manual written and everything seemingly in place for the trade launch. Can't wait to buy one now.

That's all,

Pete.

Stu

thanks for the tin although empty it has been passed on to the props department.

Wardrobe are after a hat do you fancy starting another collection?

Oi, I want my tin back! (Preferably with lots of money in it!)

Hehe

Stu

PS... Can't help on the hat front ;)

Guest richardcooper
+10v and DMX out seems too good to be true - even the MX or Alcora/Elara's (presumably its main competition) dont manage that, and they cost a lot more than £189

Having (briefly) read the manual I am fairly sure that the +10V outputs are for chans 1-12 only plus the two special channels which appear to simple toggle on / off. Could still be good value as two can be linked together.

The other thing being you do not seem to be able to run chases in "theatre mode"

Guest lightnix
So, come on, I'm passing the tin round. Put your money in and pass it around, so we can all have a butchers!

For a desk that costs little more than a freelancer for a day ??? C'mon now, don't make me ;) :angry: :blink:

So, come on, I'm passing the tin round. Put your money in and pass it around, so we can all have a butchers!

For a desk that costs little more than a freelancer for a day ??? C'mon now, don't make me ;) :angry: :blink:

Problem is, you can never tell these days!

Stu

Guest lightnix
its probable intention is for pub and club bands, and small band gigs...

Well obviously it's not a Hog and judging by it's "panel mountings" that would seem to be the sort of gig it's intended for, along with small conferences, hospitality tents, schools and the like. For what it is, it seems like a pretty good effort and I do like the DMX/0-10 volt option, too.

The vast majority of the gigs I did over the years used 12/24 way desks just like this. Were I still a freelancer, I would probably be very interested in buying one to "add value" to my "small conference" type services. For that price I would be able to include it in my (highish) rates or charge a small fee for it, also bearing in mind that a freelancer who supplies kit will have little trouble in proving their self-employed status. In fact, for that price I could probably afford a spare desk as well.

I would say that Behringer are being very sensible with this. They are entering a fiercely competitive market and it would be foolish of them to come steaming in with a "big" desk, when they have no track record in lighting, when that end of the market is already saturated with Hog2s, Pearls, etc. (even the Hog3 is having a little trouble competing with its predecessor, apparently) and when there are fewer jobs around which require that level of control technology anyway.

Let's face it, this is hardly cutting edge technology. A competent 'A' level Electronics student or hobbyist could probably create something similar. I would also guess that (like almost every other western company these days) they are having them made in China to keep the price down. I just got a new "plug 'n' play" Dell P4 2.5GHz for £650 + VAT with a 15" flat screen monitor - all made in China. You simply don't have to spend a fortune to get good quality kit any more.

Ask yourself this: if they can do a desk like this for less than £200 inc. VAT, how much could they do a small moving light desk for ? If they could do it for less than £500 they could well be on to a winner.

I reckon this is just the start for Behringer lighting desks. Look out Zero88, that's what I say.

Behringer are well-known for knocking off other people's designs and have been sued over some of their sound equipment.

The Eurolight bears more than a passing resemblance to the MA Lighting Lightcommander 12/2, which interestingly is also of German origin.

Their products are cheap because they do little R&D themselves and mass-produce the stuff, probably in China as Nick suggested.

A fair few people have had bad experiences with their other kit. It generally isn't highly regarded on performance or reliability grounds.

But, if their desk does what it says on the box, I'm sure they'll sell loads, given that it costs less than half the price of a Strand 200 (and a fifth of the LC12/2).

If you fancy seeing them both, here's a couple of links:

MA Lighting Lightcommander 12/2

Behringer Eurolight LC2412

Hmmm....similar. ;)

Just as an aside, at work, we've noted that a nasty tend for manufacturers of cheaper (nastier) gear to call their products something with Euro-, -pro or 2000 in the name (with a couple of notable exceptions) We dread the release of the Euromix Pro 2000, or suchlike. :D (Our "E" desk is a Maplin "professional"...ho ho.)

Archived