Flying with tools

oli

Hey BR,

I know this topic has been covered before but haven't really found an answer that suits.

I fly around al ot but normally only take my multi tools a podger and AJ (most things I work on have any "extra tools I need'). However I will be flying from Edinburgh to London in a couple of weeks and need to take my whole tool kit with me. It is in a lockable flight case style box, however we all know that these lockable clips aren't really capable of holding much. Does anyone know what the stance, on the airline/airport securities front, is? I will obviously be checking them in but need to know what the regs are.

Oh I will be flying on BA, in case this helps, can't find much on their website though.

Oli

I think it may be the 'If it's in the hold, it's OK' things here. DON'T hold me to that, it's just a guess based on a little common sense. Like you say, the only ones who can tell you for sure are BA, so check with them tomorrow.

HTH,

Chris

..... Like you say, the only ones who can tell you for sure are BA, so check with them tomorrow.

HTH,

Chris

Calling up the number at heathrow today would be fine I have dont before. and they are more than happy to help.

Just remember the loading weights and dimentions.

With BA I had no problems with all maner of strangeties when I moved here.

Think about that... I MOVED here.. bag was 20% clothes 80% "things"........ IE technician things....

Behringer DI boxes look like nice little bomb packages on XRAY I tell you....

Lots of nice switches to set it off and a wee 9v battery inside to spark it all off.....

the security guy however at heathrow freacked out a little...

You try telling a non sound tech what a DI box does.... its not fun.

On top of about 1TB of storage bettween caddy HDD´s and Laptop...

All of this packed together with a one-way ticket and I had a small talking to in london..........

There shouldn't be a problem if you mention at check-in that you have tools with you. I am usually sent off to security where my toolbox is x-rayed in front of me and I explain what everything is. Last week flying from Manchester to Prague the security guy was so bored he got into a discussion about the relative weights of different Estwing hammers from the image on his screen.

Likewise.

Tell them at check in what it is, they will direct you to a side desk where your box is xrayed. it might then be asked of you

to go through the box and demonstrate anything the security are concerned about, turning it on and suchlike.

They then might seal the box, but it's been 6 years since I've flown with tools so forget. I know that I travelled on two flights and at each of three airports my box was opened wether I was there or not, and seals or no seals, if they want to look they will.

Triple check you've got all your stuff in the hold. There is a zero tolerance policy for tools airside, they all must be in the hold. You've obviously said you're going to do this, but double check. My mate lost his leatherman last time we crossed airside, for obvious reasons, and it's a right pain to buy a new one at 6 in the morning!

Also, do call BA or BAA numbers at heathrow. I assume you're flying from T5, so allow a little extra time than normal, as they're starting long haul flights out of there on the 5th of June. They won't be at full capacity, but it'll be busier than it has been, and if you have to get your tools scanned seperately, just make sure you've left enough time.

Anyway, enjoy your flight!

I'd strongly suggest you don't lock it or if you do use the flimsiest lock possible. My old flightcase tool box had one of the butterfly catches unceremoniously hacked off after someone decided to check the contents and couldn't get at the padlock with their bolt croppers.

I now tend to use those little copper seals you find on leccy meters to discourage nosy baggage handlers and so I know if it's been opened without making it difficult for anyone official to open it. If you haven't got any of them an unusual coloured cable tie should do the trick.

Oh and make sure if you're carrying a gas soldering iron you empty and purge it before you go. For some reason they get a bit tetchy if you try to carry a plastic tube full of liquid propane on board.

I'd strongly suggest you don't lock it or if you do use the flimsiest lock possible. My old flightcase tool box had one of the butterfly catches unceremoniously hacked off after someone decided to check the contents and couldn't get at the padlock with their bolt croppers.

Does anyone know if TSA* locks work in the UK?

*Transportation Security Administration is part of The Department of Homeland Security in America

Infact after looking http://www.travelsentry.org/en/index.php provide locks for travel

Does anyone know if TSA* locks work in the UK?
I don't know if they would work "officially", but I doubt they'd stop a thieving baggage handler.

As to locking cases in general, my ex was a customs officer. Locks don't slow them down much either... Never try "I've lost the key". B-)

As to locking cases in general
I use a small cable tie.

None of the commercially-available baggage locks would stop a thieving baggage handler, and most would only slow them down a little bit.

The only purpose of a lock is to know whether somebody has been into the case - a cable tie works really well for that.

If it's missing or broken, then somebody opened the case - thus you know to take a proper count of the contents to find out if anything has been stolen.

Remember that the airline's insurance cover for luggage contents is absolutely rubbish. If you've got relatively valuable stuff in there (more than around £500), ensure you have proper cover.

I fly with tools very often - the main things to check are:

1) Ensure that any gas tools (eg soldering irons) are empty, and don't take any spare butane for them. You'll have to buy it at the destination.

2) If you are taking any 'unusual' electronic test equipment, explain this at check-in, and you can offer to do a one-on-one baggage scan, and be able to explain what the bits are.

This also usually has the bonus of it being done by a security manager, rather than your average front-line muppet.

Finally - Weight Limits.

The weight limits on most carriers are much lower than they used to be, and internal flights have even lower limits.

Excess baggage is really expensive - it's often cheaper to send any excess by next-day courier. (Plus a courier is generally less likely to lose it!)

I've taken a large flightcased tool box to / from US and troughout europe when I've toured,

It helps to have a carnet listing the tools (plus values & place of manufacture), usually speeds up the process when going through check in / security.

The only place we had to "tip" the cases was Kiev (Russia), took 16 hours to get everything sorted out, as they went through everything we took in, (lights, pa, kits, costume, props). That was back in 2006.

A carnet is a promise that everything on it will be taken into and back out of a country and means you don't have to pay duty but will probably have to pay a deposit either to the country you're entering or your backing organisation (eg London Chamber or Commerce). A carnet won't help with security any more than a simple list of kit would.

On the subject of Russia and the Ukraine I tend to find the only problem westerners face is their own attitude. I must have made at least fifteen border crossings and only a couple have taken me more than five minutes, even when crossing with the wrong paperwork and a vehicle with no registration documents it didn't take me more than an hour! The key is to be very polite and almost meek, whoever you're talking to is right, never raise your voice and never never ask to speak to their boss or otherwise insinuate they may be wrong. Offering a bribe or tip is possibly one of the stupidest things you can do. OK in a very few circumstances asking if there is an on the spot fine to pay could be advantageous but be aware that both offering and taking bribes are serious offences, as a foreigner are likely to be a lot less tactful that you think your being and you could well end up in jail.

I flew from Heathrow to Toronto twice a few years back 2005/6. Touring with a small scale band. The manager had all the guitarists leads and pedals in his hand luggage - yep, seems really stupid looking back - caused a minor panic in the x-ray but a short explanation helped and we got through without any problems. What caused more hassle was the bassist joking about bombs with a security guard behind him in Toronto airport before immigration! B-) We nearly got sent straight home!

Archived