Flying with tools

oli

A carnet is a promise that everything on it will be taken into and back out of a country and means you don't have to pay duty but will probably have to pay a deposit either to the country you're entering or your backing organisation (eg London Chamber or Commerce). A carnet won't help with security any more than a simple list of kit would.

On the subject of Russia and the Ukraine I tend to find the only problem westerners face is their own attitude. I must have made at least fifteen border crossings and only a couple have taken me more than five minutes, even when crossing with the wrong paperwork and a vehicle with no registration documents it didn't take me more than an hour! The key is to be very polite and almost meek, whoever you're talking to is right, never raise your voice and never never ask to speak to their boss or otherwise insinuate they may be wrong. Offering a bribe or tip is possibly one of the stupidest things you can do. OK in a very few circumstances asking if there is an on the spot fine to pay could be advantageous but be aware that both offering and taking bribes are serious offences, as a foreigner are likely to be a lot less tactful that you think your being and you could well end up in jail.

I agree with the above, and the info about bribes.

However the main reason we had to "tip" everything was due to the company being mainly made up of a mix of Americans, Indians & three europeans, (one German, one French & Myself).

If you are taking equipment with a ATA Carnet to Russia it is strongly advised to have a Russian representative meet you at the red channel Customs area. This is because they sometimes like to translate the "numbered items" list of gear that you are carrying on that trip into Russian. On the other hand you could get it professionally translated before you go and make photo-copies. If they write out the list themselves it takes a loooong time. Ask them to do a photo-copy for you to keep for when you exit the country; you must be calm and patient, a couple of years ago it took four hours at St.Petersburg airport and no-one seemed to know what the Carnet was and they were anxious that my microphones didn't have serial numbers etc.etc, it all had to be explained by the representative translating for us. Then they couldn't find the Customs stamp!

It's a bit better now, only took one and a half hours a fortnight ago!

Be calm, if you kick off expect arrest and no access to British Consul staff for at least 48 hours...a sobering thought. When it's finished smile and say spasiba.

Moscow isn't too bad compared to St.Petersburg.

I'll second the mention of cable ties to seal a box. Use a spurious colour (neon in my case). Don't cable tie it at home before you travel to the airport, wait with a tie in your pocket at the check in desk. If it gets sent to a seperate desk, let them check through it and then tie it, if it just goes on the belt at check in, tie it there.

Locks scream out "I don't want you to open me".

Make sure all your kit works so you can demonstrate it working (batteries are in your multimeter) as it speeds life up.

Have a list of contents in the lid of your box too.

Archived