Fat Frog

Guest joewhite903

OK.

Based on what you've posted so far, you should do the following:

If you REALLY don't have an option for dedicated hard-switched (ie NOT through the desk) then you should say to the school that you're not prepared to use these movin lights. Give them the proper reason why - ie that using them on a switched-live via the dimmer circuits WILL damage the lanterns sooner rather than later and cost the school in repair/replacements.

It is then up to the school - if they agree to get some outside company in to run some simple 13A extensions to the lanterns, then you're in business (once you have built a Frog profile for the I-Solutions).

I'm making an assumption here that the wiring to the dimmers is hard-wired, so there's no local break-out or patch option that end.

Guest joewhite903
Ok The staff that deal with all this are the same guys that first taught me the main aspects off the lighting and got me really into it all, we all know that the movers shouldnt be on the dimmer packs were all appauled by the setup, but its this or no show, I volenteer every year to go back and help the school. the way the schools used to work was that south lanarksire owned them but now all the schools are leased to southlanarkshire by Amec and they have there own contract with this cheap and nasty company that we dont know the name off..

...but its this or no show...
Then no show.

It is in fact very simple - if they cannot afford to use moving lights or do not have the right equipment to run them safely within manufacturers' limits, then they do not use moving lights.

All shows can only use the equipment and resources that they have access to and can afford to bring in from elsewhere.

For every show I have designed, the design always takes account of the available resources.

I don't get irritated by the lack of dimmer channels, or hard power, or flying capacity - I adjust my design to take account of what is physically possible.

If there is an effect I want that doesn't appear possible - I work out how to do it with the resources available, or how to get close.

If it genuinely isn't possible with the resources available, then the effect is adjusted or scaled back until it is possible.

Remember that in the Real World we have to work to limits.

Those limits are generally known in advance, so a good designer will ensure that they stay inside them.

Finding ways of doing amazing things within the limits is what good designers and engineers live for.

Just because someone thinks that Result X is impossible, doesn't mean that it actually is - it generally means that the approach they are thinking of taking is impossible.

And methods can be changed.

its this or no show

Then I suggest (as others have before me) that it should be no show, or no movers for the show. When the school has time, get the external company to come in and install 13A extensions, but if you don't think there's enough time in the 2 weeks before the show, wait until after.

There's no point just saying you're appalled with the set up - do something about it!

On a side note- you say you aren't a pupil at the school any more - why do the school's regulations still apply to you? It doesn't seem (I'm not an expert) that they're entirely based in the law!

HTH,

Chris

Valid point Chris

Joe,why are you being restricted as to what you can and cannot do on the rig? If your an outsider coming in to work on the event - and your what , 20 ? So perfectly legal to work from height etc. Does the school insurance cover you or do you have your own?

Besides , I cant see how or why the show wont go on just because there might not a be a few cheapo movers working!!

Failing that, go and see the man - or woman - at the top and inform them of the situation and get something done about it asap! It dosent take 2 weeks for a company to come in and provide a bit of mains distro!

Guest joewhite903

Soo you saying that because im not a pupil im kinda acctually aloud to edit the rig, Im coverd bt the shop in which I work at, as if theres any problems im just to say that im doing a job with them. so I have insurance, I may do that then , thats what I was thinking as ive got scaffolding to get up to it, an yes im 21

P.S. The guys in the school werent sure wheather or not it would be the case since im not a pupil

Well hangon , you might have insurance in the shop, - what shop!! A greengrocers? It may not cover you off site though. Ive got insurance on-site but then when I do freelance work im covered by my own public liability insurance. Unless you are 101% sure about your cover, you need to check it out first before you go to the school and start rigging.

Guest joewhite903
RS Sound & Light , is where I work ,sell disco gear and do repairs plus a lot of installs

Joe, setting your dimmers to switch to power moving lights is DEFINATELY bad practice and you should disable the system immediately. Moving Lights should only be powered from 'hot' power (straight from the mains) - powering them through a dimmer can result in damage to both the moving light and the dimmer. This has been discussed many times on the Blue Room.

Just a thought Peter, have these dimmer channels been set to switch? Or don't the chilli's do this? Seems a very odd way of doing this anyhow!!!!! :) :angry: :huh:

Moderation: This topic has been moved to "The Next Generation" because, although the OP isn't a student himself, it relates to volunteer work being done on a school show. It also involves the use of a setup (imposed by the school apparently) which has been universally condemned as "bad practice" by professional members. (And the spelling, punctuation and grammar could be better as well!)

Just a thought Peter, have these dimmer channels been set to switch? Or don't the chilli's do this? Seems a very odd way of doing this anyhow!!!!! :) :angry: :huh:

I was sure I posted this last night, but anyway...

Ive set the dimmers to SWITCH forgot to mention that, for the movers , as for bightness I was hopping to be able to rename its setting as lamp on/off or something like that.

Archived