DMX Adapter Leads 3-5/5-3

techiegsy

I'm sure people like 10 out of 10/AC/Stage/VDC etc would make them up for you, but I'm not sure they are a stock item from any of the manufacturers, certainly not the cheaper ones. Have you tried places like CPC?

It would probably be cheaper to make them anyway.

Make them it will be learning curve for you as well

Agreed.

By making them yourself, you'll gain vital experience for the future. We never do a gig without a tool kit, that includes soldering iron, and various connectors. It's quite suprising how often they're needed, weather it's repairs or new leads.

As far as the XLR's go, for the 5 pin especially, use good quality ones (Neutrick etc) as we've found on some of the cheaper ones, the plastic part (that supports the pins) melts at a lower temperature than the soldering iron, therefore making the pins loose.

The downside is they are 2m long, which isn't short by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think I've ever seen any at the 10-20cm length you would probably make if you were doing it yourself.

DMX (a protocol) is based upon RS-485 (a signalling standard), and RS-485 requires a cable impedance of 120 ohms.

If you are going to make your own cablesets, and IMHO "Made in the Channel Islands" is much better than "Made in The Far East", have a look at Belden type 7200A. It's single pair shielded flexible RS485 data cable. It's the right cable for the job, but I don't know who stocks it.

I'm sure someone must do an equivalent.

Link https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/#catsid=734

It's a funny Javascript thing, though so you'll have to type 7200A into the search box.

Matt

Making them up yourself is definitely by far the easiest. I found myself not long ago sitting in the auditorium soldering up a couple of DMX adapters! And similarly, saw someone else fixing a comms cable after the audience were in, and before the show started!! Which proves it's always handy to have a soldering iron.

Depending on if the cable is going to be fairly permanent, compared to something which is going to be plugged / unplugged / moved a lot, you can get away with a piece of Cat5 cable if you have one lying around. The solid-cores in cat5 aren't the best thing to have if the cable will be moved a lot, and can break over time.

The downside is they are 2m long, which isn't short by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think I've ever seen any at the 10-20cm length you would probably make if you were doing it yourself.

Buying one of these would give you enough proper DMX cable to make 10 or 15 adaptors. All you need then is the extra connectors and some patience.

Depending on if the cable is going to be fairly permanent, compared to something which is going to be plugged / unplugged / moved a lot, you can get away with a piece of Cat5 cable if you have one lying around. The solid-cores in cat5 aren't the best thing to have if the cable will be moved a lot, and can break over time.

Don't use solid core cat5 into trailing connectors. That's just daft, and is precisely the reason why stranded cat5 is manufactured. Solid core is only for fixed installs to a permanent faceplate.

Yes, you may, as you say, "get away with it", but that's hardly a recipe for building a professional/production/reliable/whatever system.

Don't use solid core cat5 into trailing connectors. That's just daft, and is precisely the reason why stranded cat5 is manufactured. Solid core is only for fixed installs to a permanent faceplate.

But it wouldn't be okay for a permanent adapter which would connect between a permanent faceplate and a wall mounted dimmer rack for example, that would never be moved much? That's why I did mention in my previous post that I'd use solid core if I had some, only if I knew that the adapter didn't have to move about loads, in the same way that a fixed install of networking gear would use solid core as it wouldn't have to move around. At least thats my understanding of it.

I'll clarify my previous post:

If I was trying to make up a fairly permanent adapter, I'd use solid core cable if I had a piece lying around, but didn't have any stranded cable to hand ( as I'd say it's usually easier to get your hands on solid core cable, as the stranded patch cables are bought pre-made with 8P8C connectors on! ).

I'd definitely not use solid core cable into a XLR connector if I knew it was going to be disconnected, moved and connected regularly, because, as I also mentioned in my previous post, the cores can break over time. Use stranded cable if this is the case

If I was trying to make up a fairly permanent adapter, I'd use solid core cable if I had a piece lying around, but didn't have any stranded cable to hand ( as I'd say it's usually easier to get your hands on solid core cable, as the stranded patch cables are bought pre-made with 8P8C connectors on! ).

I'd definitely not use solid core cable into a XLR connector if I knew it was going to be disconnected, moved and connected regularly, because, as I also mentioned in my previous post, the cores can break over time. Use stranded cable if this is the case

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer. It's just wrong, and is the mark of an amateur.

Solid core cat5 is not suitable for any form of "flying" connector. End of story. It may work in this specific situation, but can you guarantee that the adaptor will not find it's way into a "box of adaptors", and become just another unreliable adaptor?

Cost isn't really an issue here - we're only talking about a few inches of cable. Do the job properly, and not in a half-assed amateur way.

If I found such an adaptor in an installation I'd specified, the contractor would be in trouble.

Archived