DMX splitters

michael

• 2 weeks later...
My advice is don't go for the soundlab one...it's quite temperamental and has lots of error lights which never tell you the right thing. We have one at school and it's poor to say the least.

Charlie

Where is the sound lab one mentioned?

If you are referring to the Starvile ones that are also available as Botex, Soundlab, Showtec etc then I have never had a problem with the one I have used and it has been on for the last 6 months without any Problem.

Josh

Have you looked at the Chroma-Q 4Play?

http://www.aclighting.com/products/chroma-q/#4play

The O/P Said cheap. The 4Play lists at £249

Not that Cheap.

I have one of the 2 Way Starville Ones and have never had a Problem With it.

But cheap is a relative term, although £249 seems a bit expensive given Enttec sell a four way RDM compatible splitter for approximately £235. I don't know the internal specs regarding buffering/isolation of the Starville compared to the 4Play or Enttec one, but the Starville can't be truss or rack mounted without modification.

The OP needs to give us some more information regarding specifications before we can suggest suitable ones. If he's talking really cheap, then Dmills suggestion in the other topic would cost a few quid to put together, most of which would be on the connectors, however as he says it should really be a get out of jail. But again it depends what you are doing, if its just parties and your using mic cable it probably won't matter, but I doubt many people would want to use it on a larger rig.

My advice is don't go for the soundlab one...it's quite temperamental and has lots of error lights which never tell you the right thing. We have one at school and it's poor to say the least.

Charlie

Where is the sound lab one mentioned?

If you are referring to the Starvile ones that are also available as Botex, Soundlab, Showtec etc then I have never had a problem with the one I have used and it has been on for the last 6 months without any Problem.

Josh

I wasn't meaning it had been mentioned, just pre-warning the OP in case they came across. And are you saying that it's a re-branded product? Becuase the soundlab ones looks very different form the stairville one...

http://electrical.playrecord.net/images/Electrovision/G018VH.jpg

I wasn't meaning it had been mentioned, just pre-warning the OP in case they came across. And are you saying that it's a re-branded product? Becuase the soundlab ones looks very different form the stairville one...
That's identical to the Stairville four way splitter mentioned further up the page.

But cheap is a relative term,

Never a truer word.

Cheap to a 16 yr old wannabe pro-tech-ie or cheap to a school or cheap to an established am-dram technician or cheap to a small provincial pro theatre or cheap to a 1st call venue.....?

Relative indeed, depending on use, frequency of use and budget available.

Plus the consequences of a splitter failing at any time...!

I've used two of these for several years, and they are embarassingly good for the money (about £40?).

Err - ditto.

In some earlier threads on the topic I've posted some internal pictures, they really are good enough...

Inspired by this thread comes this thought*:-

Is there a DMux manufacturer that would build an isolated splitter into a DMux box? It would lift the usability above that of the Botex box, and save the user having wall-wart powered splitters. One RDM ready DMX in, 4 or 5 isolated DMX outs and 48/72 ways of 0-10v.

*This thought is the IP of the poster, and shoe boxes of cash for the idea would be welcome.

Archived