Have you heard of this?

heinz57

Dosxuk........

That's a pretty impressive picture!

Agreed!

A little OT but how would you rig the support wire for something like that over such distance?

I've got a cartoon style image in my head of a harpoon gun with a rope attached but I don't think health and safety would quite allow that :unsure: .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You walk... pulling the rope along (we then cheated on this rig and used the first rope to pull the others across. Took about 30 people 14 hours to get the ropes in position and tensioned (although we were delayed for 4 hours as the venue manager of the swimming pool said we were disturbing the atheletes from practicing).

There's a couple of photos from the rig on my Athens photos page

Not quite a wire, but I'm certain there was a post on here somewhere about a West End musical which had movers on some sort of system that allowed them to track across the stage.

Miss Saigon had VL2c's on a tracking system - but it was rigidly mounted (to truss, I believe) not on wires.

• 2 years later...
They did indeed - vertically on either side of the pros. Anyone got any ideas where the tracking modules ended up?

A skip if I remember rightly. There was a similar system on a recent Genesis tour too and the Stones Bridges To Babylon. Brilliant Stages built them I think.

Cheers

Smiffy

Soon this will be the norm for live productions. Cast the people behind WYSIWYG are in the process of developing Blackbox. Blackbox will be able to capture and position people on stage and control movement and lighting positions as they happen.

This technology will allow all factors robotic cameras, lighting, motor control to be controlled by one central unit, able to track whats happening on stage. As you would expect cast will also be evolving WYSIWYG to career for this new hardware.

I look forward to see this in action.

movers on fly bars

I swear when I went to see Billy Elliot at the West End they had a vertical truss either side of the stage, providing side light, but it was only half the height of the stage and they raised and lowered the truss throughout the play, to get different angles off the movers I guess. I found it quite interesting to watch, but then I was watching the LX more than the play! :P

EDIT: SPAG

... Blackbox will be able to capture and position people on stage ...

I don't fancy being the one to tell Liam or Noel that they're going to have to be retrofitted with a DMX socket!

I'd assume it's rather to get set pieces on and off the stage, rather than for angles; I know they have movers and other lanterns on truss that is raised up and down in order to get scenery on and off stage at the Apollo Victoria for Wicked.

movers on fly bars

I swear when I went to see Billy Elliot at the West End they had a vertical truss either side of the stage, providing side light, but it was only half the height of the stage and they raised and lowered the truss throughout the play, to get different angles off the movers I guess. I found it quite interesting to watch, but then I was watching the LX more than the play! :P

EDIT: SPAG

I'd assume it's rather to get set pieces on and off the stage, rather than for angles; I know they have movers and other lanterns on truss that is raised up and down in order to get scenery on and off stage at the Apollo Victoria for Wicked.

Yes, that makes more sense I guess. They did have a really complicated set too!

It's not truss, It's LX Ladders, it is indeed for set purposes, they have Revolution and Mac 600 mounted, they are all on chain motor (IIRC) to take them in and out and operated by Automation.

Yes, that makes more sense I guess. They did have a really complicated set too!

That's exactly what it's for I think :P

One subtle but very clever example (well, so I thought anyway) of 'movers on a fly bar' is in this show in "Electricity" - the bar starts off on the deck and gradually glows and flies out as Billy sings, but in order to maintain the right angle the movers compensate for the ascending flying bar ... I'm guessing the Pirouettes were picked for this purpose as they're the only mover that looks vaguely like a conventional fresnel (a bar full of Mac 600s wouldn't really pass for conventional lights of the period :P)

Archived