Have you heard of this?

heinz57

I was asking someone about the lighting at the Robbie Williams tour concert they went to see in leeds last year.

They told me that there was lights that actualy moved around on a wire, like all above the audience and that.

Now I've never heard of this, but I might be mistaken.

Has anybody ever heard of this?

Heinz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know anything about what you are talking about, but given there are video systems available that do a similar thing, there is no reason someone couldn't replace the camera with a light, of course you would have power issues, and probably couldn't have more than one in the air without very careful programming, but it is technically possible.

I went to the Dublin concert of that Robbie tour - it was their first stop - and I don't recall seeing anything like that at all. Robbie was supposed to fly down in some sort of gondola thing on a wire from the top of the rig for the encores, but it didn't work in Dublin - maybe that was what they meant?

Unless the person you were talking to was an experienced professional, I'd say chances are good that they mistook a video camera on wires for a light.

As you can see from THIS SITE the camera rig (and gyro stabiliser) is fairly sizeable and, in the dark, would be easy to mistake for a light.

Bob

Thanks,

I knew they must have been wrong, I mean, a light moving on a wire? A better way would be a large pole in the middle of the audience with a moving head on top!

And yea, the camara can be mistaken for a light

A second thought of mine was that it was a rope light! But that would have had to have been powerful, and how do I explain the mysterious object that looks like a light?

And yea, the camara can be mistaken for a light

Except for the fact that lights usually have chuffing bright beams coming out of the front................

And cameras, er, well, ...... don't!!

:D

there is no reason someone couldn't replace the camera with a light, of course you would have power issues

The majority of these systems use batteries on the mount, radio control of the camera and radio linked video back to a ground station. The systems are also fairly light weight, I wouldn't think they could take more than a Mac 250 sized fixture, making them a fairly pointless lighting platform.

Cam Cat / Wirecam is a similar system, and when mounted with a wescam (like below), it would be fairly simple to mistake the head for a moving head.

http://www.aerialcamerasystems.com/athens2004/large/Aquatics_-_CAMCAT_system.jpg

(picture from www.aerialcamerasystems.com)

It would actualy be fun to have lights on a wire ** laughs out loud **. A bit far fetched and crazy but admit it, it would be good! :P

Not quite a wire, but I'm certain there was a post on here somewhere about a West End musical which had movers on some sort of system that allowed them to track across the stage.

Archived