Restrictions

techiegsy

What can or can't you do?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Without the intervention (supervision) of teachers/Health and Safety, I am allowed to...

• ... go up a scaffolding towers/ladders.
    • ... use the sound and/or lighting desk.
    • ... wire a plug.
    • ... turn on the dimmers and/or moving heads.
    • ... turn on amps and use speakers.
    • ... use (wireless) microphones.
    • ... program a show.
    • ... do some/all of the above with supervision.
    • ... do absolutely nothing!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will point out I voted about what I was allowed to do when at school, am now at uni. I was allowed to do 99% of the stuff I needed too and was even entrusted with keys to most of he building, but this was probably due to me holding qualifications and training certificates obtained outside of college/school.

I have recently been (as have all others including teachers) dissalowed access to the Amps/Speakers for both powering up/down and use as the cenior staff were told that it could be dangerous to use them.

The only danger I can see is... (Thinks for a Min)

None

Josh

I'm allowed to run the lighting board and turn on this dimmers but not go up the tallescope at all (not legal yet, and to be honest, I don't think anyone should be allowed to go up one alone!) and I'm not allowed to use the school's PA because I haven't been 'trained', though I could as I have used desks outside of school. But anyways... I'm a lighting guy at heart! :)

same as gherriott, I have filled it out as it was several years ago when I was at school.

Not sure about wiring plugs though. Never came across a time when one needed to be wired, so not sure if they'd have let me! We had to have the theatre manager present if we were erecting the scaff tower and going up it.

Just before I left school, I was allowed to do pretty much all of them. Wiring a plug - well not legally and not strictly speaking, but I can't say I didn't do it once or twice. Tallescope / scaff towers - not before I'd been offically trained, and that was done outside the school. Everything else came gradually as trust, I learnt how to do it supervised, I was supervised a few times while I did various bits, then I was trusted enough to run around on my own and supervise / train others on how to use it.

and to be honest, I don't think anyone should be allowed to go up one alone!

Doya climb in pairs then? :)

and to be honest, I don't think anyone should be allowed to go up one alone!

Doya climb in pairs then? :)

I meant that you shouldn't go up one without being supervised / having someone near you incase you somehow hurt yourself and didn't have anyone to help you.

I meant that you shouldn't go up one without being supervised / having someone near you incase you somehow hurt yourself and didn't have anyone to help you.

Nah that's sensible. I followed the same precautions :)

I knew what you meant, it was just your wording that made me smile ;)

Offically you are not allowed to re-wire a plug at school, teacher or student if I'm thinking right ?

From memory, you're not legally allowed to unless you're qualified to do so. At least that's the reason I was given for not being allowed!

Archived