Interested in the industry - Where to start?

Ok, firstly, let me explain myself..

I'm very young at just 15, however I have been interested in the Sound and Lighting industry for a few years. I'm involved with lighting at my school (Bourne Grammar School) and I am very interested in taking this interest further.

I am looking to apply to university to study these areas. What I'm hoping to do at my age is start to learn more about the industry, and different things such as DSP, Networking etc etc.

Would you guys be able to give me some topics that you would recommend me to start learning or at least reading up about so that when I finally do apply for uni in 2 years, I will have some knowledge that will hopefully be an asset to me..

I hope you guys can take me seriously, as I feel that now is the time to start!

Thanks!

I hope you guys can take me seriously, as I feel that now is the time to start!

It's good that you are asking around and wanting to find out about the industry! If DSP and Networking are topics that interest you, then I take it that you enjoy exploring the technical aspects of shows, and long term would be looking for a BSc course? If so, then alongside any industry knowledge or experience, your prospective tutors will probably want to see that you can handle technical subjects (e.g. maths, physics, design technology, electronics etc.). If you are looking to take the BA route, this doesn't exclude understanding the technology, but it may allow for a more art and humanities based approach.

It may well be worth looking at the kind of degree that you would like to take, since your A level choices will be important! UCAS has a very good search engine for further and higher education programmes.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Before setting your sights strictly on a Higher Education pathway, check out this weeks Guardian Ed article at:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/s...2275307,00.html

There are many aspects of "this" industry where degrees MAY not be the best option, particularly with student debt being what it is, and the sheer numbers of degree holders coming out of HE. Keep an open mind and try as many different aspects as you possibly can before deciding exactly which way to go, you may just find a vocation in a different one of the myriad aspects that the industry has to offer.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

Quite a few people are watching the skills academy issue with a certain amount of scepticism - not least the higher education providers. This isn't a "sour grapes because it might steal our students" issue, but more of a concern that several key aspects are not being addressed.

Stewart Newlands responded to the Guardian article, with some pertinent truths. It's well worth reading.

I am worried that the nature of degree courses as opposed to training and apprenticeships is being overlooked. We've thrashed out the education versus training debate before, but they are different, and although most of the degree programmes linked to the entertainment sector will want to factor in practical skills, they are designed to do far more than this - and indeed prepare students for life beyond pushing flightcases.

This doesn't mean that degree programmes are the answer for everyone - far from it - but the present spin seems to imply that there's a gross shortage of skilled entertainment sector people, and no-one is able to produce the replacements.

From my little corner of academia, I'm seeing the vast majority of my sound and lighting students get jobs in our own specific industry - far more than most other study subject areas. They work in broadcast, hire, sales, installation, rigging, audio and lighting design and engineering, system design, technical support, research, development and consultancy.

I'm not knocking vocational training, just worried that it might be seen as a panacea because it meets a certain government target - just as the magic "50% to have experience of higher education" mantra was...

Simon

The first thing to read about is noise induced hearing loss. If you want to do serious sound work, good hearing is career critical.

Look for some am-dram experience for a real life experience starting point. Remember to keep your English language skills ahead of the pack. No-one reads badly written applications, however good the applicant might be.

Added;

Keep focussed on how you will make your living! Uni may be 3 or 4 great years, BUT it comes at a terrible cost these days with student debt blighting your future. Doing enough work to pay your way through Uni will certainly afflict your grades, but may mean that you find an employer more easily with having current relevant experience.

speciallise if you ask me, I am primerilly a lighting programmer.

Errr ... no.

With respect, techguy, you're primarily a school pupil. You're not yet working in the industry, and I have a feeling that it's those who are from whom the OP was looking for advice ...

To the OP - you can do a lot worse than follow your thoughts of looking at IT-related topics. A knowledge of IT technology can be invaluable in getting on in this business. I'd also echo the comments of others in that I wouldn't say it's necessarily best to follow the HE route in order to get on in this industry. If the course you're looking at is a practical one, dealing with the nuts and bolts of technology as well as design, then there may well be some merit to it. But if you're considering pursuing a course which is exclusively, or primarily, design-biased then you should think carefully before you embark upon it. There are many more openings for technicians than there are for designers - by concentrating on the design side, you're placing constraints on your future career. IMO ... YMMV ... etc. :** laughs out loud **:

Archived