Ohmage - Technical Term

saturnx21

In the strictest of terms, no - it is not a 'proper' word.

But it is something that in some circles is a bit of a colloquialism.

Something akin to Ampage.

It basically stems, I'd say, from the fact that we say Voltage (correctly), so over the decades it has fallen occasionally into use.

EDIT - fixed my fat-finger slip!! :)

What's wrong with resistance?
Impedance is the combination of resistance, inductance, and capacitance. In speakers most of the impedance is due to resistance, but there is also significant inductance. Speakers have a "nominal" impedance, usually 4, 8, or 16 ohms, but the actual impedance is a complex curve related to frequency.

Mac

Resistance measured in Ohms is the property of a conductor to limit the flow of current through it when a voltage is applied.

When the supply voltage is alternating, a second effect, know as reactance has to be considered. It applies only when the circuit includes inductance and/or capacitance, and its value, measured in Ohms, depends on the frequency of the supply as well as on the values of the inductance and/or capacitance concerned

Impedance is the effect which limits alternating current in a circuit containing reactance as well as resistance

It's not in my Oxford English dictionary though. I think it may be American English.

It's certainly in the online version:

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/003307...;max_to_show=10

EDIT: Oops! You might not be able to see this link, as it looks like it's via my works subcription. But it is in there!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

ohmage, n.

Electr.

Electrical resistance as expressed in ohms.

1909 Webster's New Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang., Ohmage, the resistance of a conductor expressed in ohms. 1943 F. E. TERMAN Radio Engin. Handbk. II. 40 When a variable resistance of very low ohmage is required, it is customary to use a slide wire. 1998 Sensors & Actuators A. 65 128/1 It is desirable to use a low-impedance element (a low-ohmage, temperature-sensitive resistor) or one that self-generates a signal (a thermocouple).

I would consider Ohmage to be slang.

I'd use impedance (or resistance if the load is purely resistive).

I agree 100%

When I was doing my electronics apprenticeship (early 1980's) the terms were quite clear.

Resistance & Impedence, measured in Ohms

Current, measured in Amperes (shortened to Amps by popular usage)

Voltage, Potential, measured in Volts.

Power, measured in Watts.

I'd not heard the term till the past few years, but I understand the usage, based on Wattage & Voltage.

Just because something becomes commonplace, i.e. slang, does not make it a proper word, or correct usage.

Just because something becomes commonplace, i.e. slang, does not make it a proper word, or correct usage.

But surely that is how voltage, which you put forward as 'correct usage', must have come about? In the same way as wattage, ohmage & amperage?

It (and wattage to a lesser extent) seems to have stuck for some reason (probably because they don't sound as horrible and ungainly as ohmage and amperage).

Archived