How would you rather receive CV's?

zonino

How would you rather receive CV's, Work Experience letters, etc.  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rather receive CV's, Work Experience letters, etc.

from the replying to CV's thread....

for people who receive prospective CV's (from freelancers/casuals) would you rather receive a CV in paper or email format? if you could put why/why not that would be appreciated

edited for stupid fingers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm.... would you say the size of the company would make a difference to the preference? and the aim of the company? eg would a theatre prefer say email to a large event/hire company prefering paper? or am I reading too much into it?

from the replying to CV's thread....

for people who recieve prospective CV's (from freelancers/casuals) would you rather recieve a CV in paper or email format? if you could put why/why not that would be appreciated

Make sure you spell words like receive correctly on the CV though!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm.... would you say the size of the company would make a difference to the preference? and the aim of the company? eg would a theatre prefer say email to a large event/hire company prefering paper? or am I reading too much into it?

Hmmm...quite possibly it's the size of the company. In my situation, we had a secretary attached to the tech deparment so it was easy for me to pass on CV's and just say "put this in the freelance file".

If I had been working alone, my views might have been different!

(Though, as an aside, I'm conviced I read things more easily and carefully on paper than I do on a screen.)

Bob

I know teh [sic] problem. But sometimes you read what you think you wrote, not what you actually did write. However on a CV things matter - bad spelling, capitalisation or presentation may result in your CV visiting the round filing cabinet under the desk!

Personally I don't mind how I get a CV. What I do say is bear in mind in some organisations, more than one person will have to see the CV, and email is an easier way of passing it around. It comes in to me, for example, then I'll forward it to the Tech Manager & Chief LX, and often the Tech Manager will pass it down the tree once they receive CV's too. If they arrive on paper they might have a chance of hanging around someone's desk, which is often layers deep in papers, until the moment we need someone then, because it is on the desk where we can see it instead of filed with all the others, then we may call that one first, just because we see it first.

Emailed ones are easier to delete intentionally or not so. There is a tale to tell on that one, but at the current time I would rather not, as it is a little recent.

Edit, after reading the Punctuation & Grammar thread:

But, if you are going to email a company requesting an application pack, or to send a CV 'blind', or generally enquire about work in any way, please, please, please use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. I have been recieving applications this week, and the amount of emails that just ask for a pack to be sent to an address, with no capital letter at all, even on their, or my name, and even without punctuation or capitalising the I, far, far outweighed the amount received with proper attention paid to them. Now I am not making a decision on this position in question (It's mine) but soon I will be, and these things matter.

It is all about first impressions. If you wouldn't write like that on paper, why will you do it on a computer screen? One person has impressed so far, as it is obvious they have taken care with their application. That is one so far out of 5 applicants.

And yes, the pre-edit point is connected to this tale, and the auto-delete function of outlook. Luckily it was saved and we haven't done that dreadful thing....

I'm in the email camp as well - for al the reasons given above.

I would say though:

Try and make the subject something relevant (Casual Stage Crew for example).

Give your CV document a relevant name - like "tom albu CV Feb07.doc".

Both of these make finding relevant emails easier when looking back through my disorganised system.

Find out who to send it to and what their email address (rather than sending to a generic info address). This allows you to address the person personally and explain why your emailing them. Make sure you tell them the sort of work you are looking for. I know it may be obvious from you CV but it's not always (particularly if you're just starting out).

Do NOT send out blanket emails. I always feel slightly morally obliged to respond to somebody who has bothered to find out my name and spell it correctly. I feel absolutely the opposite to people who can't. (The same goes for paper CV's by the way).

Email all the way!

I use a pile of scrap paper for notetaking while on the phone, and you can be fairly certain that anything not relating to that weeks' work ends up in that pile of scrap.

Once the back is full, it goes straight into the recycling.

Anything I need to keep for future reference gets put on my PC - either as an email or a normal file.

That way it's organised, I can search for it, and I have it available on the road.

Email all the way!

Anything I need to keep for future reference gets put on my PC - either as an email or a normal file.

That way it's organised, I can search for it, and I have it available on the road.

And of course Tomo, it's 100% backed up, so when you have that inevitable hard disk crash, you don't lose anything :) .

Personally, I voted with Bobbsy, paper is the preferred choice for me, but, I only get half a dozen a year, so it isn't really an issue for me. Paper is preferred, because it saves me the effort or printing them. :)

Archived