How would you rather receive CV's?

zonino

How would you rather receive CV's, Work Experience letters, etc.  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rather receive CV's, Work Experience letters, etc.

And of course Tomo, it's 100% backed up, so when you have that inevitable hard disk crash, you don't lose anything :) .
Yes, indeed.

Although recovering from a HDD crash is fiddly - digging out all those installation CDs, trawling through my 'Installation' folder to recover the downloaded programs...

Email is automagically backed up by the email server(s), although re-synchronising is a pain. Start it going, have a coffee...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from the replying to CV's thread....

Since I guess this was my post I suppose I had better vote.

I, unsurprisingly considering my previous comments, prefer paper. That is not to say that I would discount an emailed CV, but it is more likely to be kept and looked at if it is a hard copy.

What I would say is when applying for an advertised job make sure you do what it says in the advert whether that be email, post, CV or application form as I would not consider people who could not follow simple instructions.

Hi,

I somehow get roped into sorting out the work ex lad's at work. I don't know if it's the same for all schools but a lot say that to apply the kids have to send out proper CV's.

I like to have them arrive on paper because it feels, to me, to have a personal touch. A lot of the time a receive a covering letter as well which, not always, is written specifically for the company.

Like I said - Paper all the way.

Sam

I wonder if work experience applicants to your "work" (which is where, exactly? Your profile says you're at college) know that their applications never even make it as far as a department manager but are actually vetted by someone who's also a student?! :)

I like to have them arrive on paper because it feels, to me, to have a personal touch. A lot of the time a receive a covering letter as well which, not always, is written specifically for the company.

I also find it hard to believe that you are permitted to read through applicants CV's. If I applied for work experience then I would expect to have my CV treated with respect (not given to a student), and dealt with by the manager (as Gareth said).

On another note Sam. Please be careful with your use of commas. It can make a very hard read when they are used incorrectly.

My vote is for electronic format and preferably in PDF format (not a fan of word documents) Having never received a CV myself, I can only speak for my personal preference. Similarly I send all my invoices via email.

Frazer

My vote is for electronic format and preferably in PDF format (not a fan of word documents) Having never received a CV myself, I can only speak for my personal preference. Similarly I send all my invoices via email.

I fully understand that, depending on what happens within a company, there are valid reasons to prefer written or e-mailed applications.

However, if something is e-mailed I have to say that a hate Hate HATE .pdf documents...to the level that when I was on the receiving end of applications, something in that format might well be ignored. Although I can see a reason for it where something like a manual or spec sheet has to be scanned, I would NEVER choose to receive things in that format if there was ANY alternative. Acrobat reader is badly written bloatware and the way certain functions work in a different manner to most other software is just plain frustrating to use.

...a personal prejudice I admit, but I'm old and grumpy and I've EARNED my prejudices!

Bob

However, if something is e-mailed I have to say that a hate Hate HATE .pdf documents...

Out of interest, what would you prefer? PDF has one thing going for it, that readers and writers are available for just about every desktop OS on earth. The problem with Word documents is that you need word to view them correctly (Yes, I know OpenOffice has .doc support, but it sure as heck ain't perfect!).

If its Adobe Reader itself that you dislike, then don't use it! I've just found Foxit Reader 2 on google, looks quite good; there're plenty more available.

Of course, good old .txt is the most efficient, virus-resistant...

Word documents were never a problem for me. Any time I've been in a position where I was receiving lots of CVs, I was working for medium to large-ish companies and they'd always standardised on the Windoze Office suite, including Word. Don't forget that in many companies the policy is for everybody to use the same software with installing other things either frowned upon or banned entirely!

That said, the safest thing from the readability point of view would likely be a text or rich text file. I don't know any WP package that can't open these. However, this is a bit academic since I voted for hard copies (and would specify "in writing only" when we advertised for applications)!

I've never tried anything other than Adobe Acrobat so have to be honest at this point and say I don't know whether it's the format or the reader I hate so much. Certainly the format is somewhat limiting, but I'll give Foxit a try and see how I get on! Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

I perceive PDF's as an electronic copy of what would have otherwise been printed and posted. They are not editable (like a piece of paper) and gives the impression of completion. In my opinion word documents are for editing and PDF files are the finished product.

However I will remember, Bobbsy to send you my CV via snail mail. :unsure:

Frazer

** laughs out loud **! I'll watch for you application frazer! Alas, the only position open right now is baby sitter to a 2 year old toddler terror! (Though, on second thought, he might be easier to handle than some university students!)

As for Acrobat, it's not just the lack of editing (since, as you say CVs shouldn't need that!) but it's all the little awkwardnesses such as needing to use the "hand" or the scroll bar instead of the mouse wheel, the handling of zooming in and out etc. Nothing really evil, but enough of a minor frustration for me to not like them!

Bob

from the replying to CV's thread....

for people who receive prospective CV's (from freelancers/casuals) would you rather receive a CV in paper or email format? if you could put why/why not that would be appreciated

edited for stupid fingers

If you receive a CV in electronic format, you can either read it on screen and print it if necessary... whereas if you get a paper one... you can loose it easily (misplace) and it's a waste of paper.

I wonder what the carbon footprint would be for HDD storage for a few kilobytes of CV, stored for several years, backed up to tape or whatever, etc etc, compared to producing two sheets of paper and shoving them in a filing cabinet?

<_<

Seriously, if the issue is maximising your chances of getting employment, what can be seen from this thread is that different companies have different preferences and policies. If you're replying to an ad, follow the instructions there. If you're sending your CV speculatively, all you can do is guess!

However, I suspect one clue would be whether or not the company in question publicises email addresses for the appropriate manager or personnel department. If they do, chances are email is good. If you're stuck with a general email, or an address you had to snag unofficially from somewhere, then perhaps paper is your best bet rather than an unsolicited email that could be treated as spam.

Bob

I've just "moderated" a post from a student who was stating a major preference for how he'd like to receive CVs. Somehow I doubt this would be much help to the OP!

Since the original question asked people who regularly receive applications what they prefer, please can you only add a response if you fall into this category.

Second, although it's a bit late to say this, only employers should respond to the poll. From the numbers voting, I rather wonder if quite a few non-employers have responded, making this rather less useful to genuince applicants.

Bob

Archived