Pyro Shop

topjob

From the La Maitre website:

The use of pyrotechnics, indoors and outdoors is at the sole discretion of the operator who will have taken full note of the prevailing situation. Operators are warned that pyrotechnic devices can sometimes vary in their performance and no guarantee is given that every device will perform the same. This must be borne in mind when siting devices.

The safe use of pyrotechnics requires a complete knowledge of the product being used, matched with a proper risk assessment. If the product is new to the user it should be observed in a safe outdoor location so that the effect can be fully ascertained before being used indoors.

I would go to a theater supply shop and ask them to help you. or you could look on the net for some pyro "like" effects? Try this?

where are you based?

Firstly using pyros of any sort can be dangerous however if you are responsible and competent to use them then there is no reason why you shouldn't use them.

Secondly using CO2 cannons can be dangerous, again if you are responsibly and competent there is no reason why you shouldn't use them.

Thirdly I feel it would be extremely irresponsible of me to suggest firing pyros from anything other than a provisionally manufactured system. This means a simple controller, cables and launch pod. It would work out cheeper to hire these and just buy the pros you require. Talk to a hire/sales company who will be able to hire you the firing setup, sell you the pros and will also be able to advise about how far away people must be and other safety concerns. This website has links to companys that may be able to help and Lincoln (one of the moderators) may be able to help.

Lastly I have said before you need to be responsible. This means not being under the influence of alcohol (not that I'm suggesting you would be).

I have in the past seen products meant for partys such as a confetti cannon that shoots confetti, streamers and novelties in the air. You could try looking at party and joke shops.

A party situation is much harder to control than a performance - using products meant for performance in such an environment is asking for trouble.

Amongst other considerations is the height of the room. Stages tend to have higher ceilings than living rooms!

A party situation is much harder to control than a performance

I agree with this a medium size flash on a big stage is ok, but then the same effect in a much smaller venue and the bang is much louder. In fact we used to use medium flashes offstage in place of maroons because they were loud enough!

Can I suggest a low tech solution, which is simpler and safer than CO2 cannons, and consequently much safer than pyro.

I've seen it as a commercial product, but in this case you could make it yourself safely.

The basic concept is a 9" - 12" long tube, about 2" diameter, with one end open, and one end sealed. Glitter or confetti is placed in the tube - the size of the glitter and the diameter of the tube should be such that the load falls to the sealed end of the tube without assistance.

To "fire" the effect, hold the tube vertical (sealed end down, obviously). Hold it by the sealed end, and with a sharp flick of the wrist, flick it away from you. If your wrist action is good enough (fnarr fnarr) the glitter will be expelled a reasonable distance from the tube, and short of clouting someone on the head with the tube as you flick it, there's not a great deal that can go wrong...

naah I've used confetti before we need somthing different. Can be slightly dangourous because we will set them off befor we get hammered :** laughs out loud **:

we are useing a hall with high cealings so thats no probs. We can also mount them on our rig

Archived