First time as LD for a band.

SilentShaddow

Im poking the desk for a small cover band tomorrow. Kasier Thiefs... anyways, first real time and so if anybody has any advice it would be really apprieated. ive got 13 (4 foh, 9 stage) bars of par 64s, 8 acls, 2 Clay Paky golden scans, 8 miniscans and some blinders, I guess im slightly nervous.

Also whilst im here, the union also has a foam party and im wondering what kind of concept that has for lighting?

Many thanks

Silent

Don't be nervous and get the 'feel' the music - work out the chorus, verses and instrumentals, use the bass lines and snare/high hat rhythms and light in time to them. If it's loud, light it loud, if it's quiet, light it quiet ;) You should know what I mean.

im running it with an avolite pearl 2004, its mostly programmed, somebody elses from a previous rig but ive changed the programming around a bit and add some scans to suit the band better.Im fairly competent with desk, its more about doing it live appose to a nightclub situation where theres less attention towards what I might or might not do

.... and the lighting fits the music...

And thats an artistic decion and the thing with artistic decions is that they're hard to get wrong (some would say impossible, but if you use a strobe for a balled you will prove them wrong) . So yeah, it's not an issue and I might add far more enjoyable than club work (IMHO).

Hi,

I found these two pages quite inspiring:

The ultimate punt page and I just love par cans

Hope this helps,

Dimitris.

Interesting links there dvidos.

I've worked on a Kanye West gig and noticed that their LD, only really used one circular movement for most of Kayne's set. We are talking dozens of Mac2000's, 600's, 500's. But, it was the way he'd use one colour look with one song, another look for another song, random strobe effects, frosts, gobos and stopper chases all on this one circular chase, that made each of Kayne's songs very artistically and visually different.

Do you see my point of telling you that OP? I learned a bit from it ... ;)

It's really not hard, just keep some frontlight on, don't go mental in the quiet tracks, don't let the colours get too messy - keep simple colour combos in use (eg, the turquoise/purple, blue/pink, etc thats already up there). The goldenscans can do really good tunnels of light with a bit of haze, and them backlighting the band. Something like Gobo 3 on the 2nd gobo wheel, and gobo 1 on the first, with a slight gobo rotate on. Stick a bit of haze in, use the miniscans in the back at the middle and use the small front blinders on the fast/furious stabs.

Echo what others are saying.. just go with the feel of the music. If their a cover band of a 'name' group, chance's are you'll know whats coming (due to having heard the songs before).

The rig'll have a fair amount of useful stuff programmed in already (got some inside knowledge) by Simon at your union, I believe he used the same rig last week so might be worth having a word with him about where on the desk he's left all the subs/chases/stages programmed in.

Only other suggestion would be have a look at the gels in the cans/any other generics, add a personal touch to it.

Good luck on your 'first' gig.

Yeah, there's plenty already in the Pearl. Managed to do a whole week of gigs last week using pretty much the same setup and just variations on the programs, pallettes, etc to keep it looking fresh. Bearing in mind we had a complete range from jazz to rock/etc, the best plan is to just go with the feel of the music. Make sure you're timing is right (nothing looks worse than a punch from the moles at the wrong time!). Have a play with the setup first to make sure you understand how the desk is laid out and what looks good and learn your way around the desk so you can quickly get to what you're after. Also remember, sometimes less is more.

As Tom said, there is a rig up at the moment, left over from the gig over easter (and used for the exams by me last week) most of it programmed by another stagecrew member, some it adjusted by me (setting the movements so they speed up as you push the fader up etc etc). The moles probably need repositioning a bit, maybe move them somewhere else. The gels will probably need changing (they are a bit girly at the moment!) and refocussing (look on the mailing list and you will find a rider has been put up with a stage plan). If I was you (and if I had the time last week) I would keep the patch but reprogram the submasters (and palettes?) so that they suit you and how you like the desk set out. It also might be worth fixing the broken miniscan that is up there (upstage left). Adding a few miniscans downstage would change the rig a bit.

If I was you I would do as above, and program the desk really thoroughly, sit in on the sound check (8pm) and have a play then... work out what looks good and what doesn't so that when you come to the gig it looks good.

Simon

Edit reason: Getting rid of inflammatory sentance

Moderation: OK, I've tidied this thead up. If anyone feels like sending each other snippy comments, use the PM function, or better, just don't do it.

I've also removed some stuff that doesn't make sense now the edits are done.

Archived