Lighting a show! Help!

lewisa

A good old-fashioned approach to moonlight is double Lee 174 (ignore the people who say you should never put two colours in the same lamp! ;)). That's something that someone showed me once, many years ago, and I've used it quite a bit since then.

But I'll also echo what someone else said - if you're not the lighting designer, it isn't your job to choose the colours. That's part of what the LD does (or is supposed to do, at least!).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for the street light effect you could have a parcan of frenel focused widley on the window with lee441 full c.t. straw as the gel and possibly a frost also to give an extremley tungsten effect.

this or lee 104 deep amber combines with a light frost would give a good lighting option.

hope this helps

for the street light effect you could have a parcan of frenel focused widley on the window with lee441 full c.t. straw as the gel and possibly a frost also to give an extremley tungsten effect.

Tungsten streetlights?? ;)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Oh, by the way - using frost to simulate light through a window? Really?! Go and find yourself a window that has a streetlight shining through it, and look at the edges of the light ...

Well I'm putting through all your suggestions to the lighting designer so he can say whether they even have the gels for it or not! They don't have the 700 as they are apparently quite new? But I'm really appreciating all the help everyone is giving me as it gives me more to work on and more to put through! If anyone like to help here's a couple of other scenes I'm working on.

Proposal Scene

Ok I have a proposal scene which is a romantic scene. Any ideas for what a romantic light should look like? I'm thinking red and purple. But not sure how to light it. It's a very short scene.

Apartment

The apartment is not much lit except for a pendant light in S.R of the stage. But obviously I need more light put through to lit up the rest of the stage. But I don't want much lighting as the apartment should look cold and shouldn't be very well lit as it's suppose to show that they don't have much money. Any colour suggestions? For act two it's going to be the same set but warmer lighting. So what two different lighting design can I have? I want one to show the roughness of the apartment and then the following one to show that it's a much warmer apartment. The biggest lighting source should still be the pendant light.

They don't have the 700 as they are apparently quite new?

Not new, no - the first of the 700 series colours were around 10 years ago.

As regards your other questions - to be honest (and I'm not deliberately trying to be unhelpful here), you're asking for some quite in-depth explanation of lighting design skills, which is a little bit beyond what one should expect of an internet forum. I think it'd be best to suggest that you go and find yourself some good books on stage lighting design. There's a topic here which contains many good suggestions of reading material. Pilbrow, Reid and Fraser are particularly worth a read.

I would suggest that you let the Lighting Designer design the lighting. Or, if he's not capable, get one who is. If he is capable, then by all means talk to him about the "mood" and the "feel", but leave the colour choices and the practicalities to him - that is, after all, his role.

I know it is job. Basically he's the college technichan and he's done lighting design for 10 years.. it's just that I like to show him that I have some knowledge of colors which I'm learning a lot about at this forum. Today when we discussed the color choices for moonlight I suggested some and he suggested some and then we kind of meet halfway on it.

I just like different people's opinions on color choices of light which I've recived here so thank you for all that guys! Everyone here is really helpful and I enjoy reading people's opinions on what colors they would use and why... that's all.

Why is moonlight blue?

KC

Technically it's not, given that it's only sunlight reflected off a grey surface, but there is the perceptual illusion known as 'Blue shift'.

The average moonlight intensity level is below that required for cone cells to respond (typically only approx 0.03 cd/m2), leading to only Scotopic vision. Given that rods do not detect colour we would assume therefore that moonlight would give only tones of grey, but as Smith et al have shown, it is possible to detect certain colours under moonlight conditions.

Indeed, It can be judged as blue, purely on the understanding that daylight is 'blue' therefore the reflective light from the sun bounced off a perceptible grey object but at low intensity is blue.

In short: to give a reasonable impression of moonlight on stage using a tungsten source.

CT201 (Daylight) @ 0.03 cd/m2 = dimmer at 25-30% = moonlight

NOT 119 !

Are there any sites where I can find theatre lighting symbols? I have recived a lighting plan but want to find out where fresnels are etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Lewisa/hhhhhhhh_0002.jpg

Well, that looks like only half of the plan - the Front Of House section by the looks of it. Basically, the two symbols in the centre look like fresnels (although I'm confused by the hand-labelled "flood" by them) and all the rest are various types of profiles.

Thay look like strand (biscuit barrels) I actually dont remember the real name we just call them that, the ones we have we draw like that thay are Fresnel's but aren't small things were talking about the same size as a mac500, of course there a hell of a lot lighter. Hope that helps clear that up.

Sim

Thay look like strand (biscuit barrels) I actually dont remember the real name we just call them that, the ones we have we draw like that thay are Fresnel's but aren't small things were talking about the same size as a mac500, of course there a hell of a lot lighter. Hope that helps clear that up.

Sim

Without a key to the symbols they could be anything.

Sim

Without a key to the symbols they could be anything.

Oh.. well that's all I got.. have to ask him when I get the chance to. Was going to do some more lighting talk today but he didn't have time.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any sites where I can find theatre lighting symbols? I have recived a lighting plan but want to find out where fresnels are etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Lewisa/hhhhhhhh_0002.jpg

Looking at the plan, I'd guess the first 8 lamps could be Cantata's, the 6 on "balcony front" may be CCT Sil 30's, the rest apart from the one marked flood ould be Preludes, but as pointed out without a "key the could be anything.

Archived