Cherry picker tickets

There is no legal stipulation that you must hold a ticket to drive one. There is however the ability to prove that you have been assessed as competent to use one, which is why most people look for a ticket, and the IPAF (Industrial Powered Access Federation IIRC) one is the most common.

There is no legal stipulation that you must hold a ticket to drive one. There is however the ability to prove that you have been assessed as competent to use one, which is why most people look for a ticket, and the IPAF (Industrial Powered Access Federation IIRC) one is the most common.

ok that's great and I know that but where do I get one?????

Having done a refresher only last week I can highly recommend Nationwide Access's training (also did my original training there) which is IPAF accredited. They do it at many branches so it's a fairly dead cert that one of the London branches will.

Just a word of warning in case you're not already aware, there are several different types of 'cherry picker' which require different training. For example a licence which proves you have the ability to drive a self propelled boom (one which drives under it's own power) does not qualify you to use a trailer mounted boom. So make sure you choose the right course for the type your likely to use.

The IPAF website also lists accredited training centres.

Make sure you get Mobile Vertical (scissor) & Mobile Boom (articulated & stretch) categories on your licence!! Cost me £180 +VAT for a day's training inc registration with IPAF!! At least then you know you can take it with you - not just a in-housem training qualification

Another vote for Facelift, got my ticket/did my training, for SL's & VPP's (scissors & vertical platforms) from them.. Cost me just over £230 (inc VAT) for the training on both & IPAF reg'.

Friendly bunch & the food was nice ;)

HTH, Tom

IPAF is pretty sucky value for money imo. Scissor lift and self propelled boom are two separate catergories, which is fine, and then trailer-mount boom and man-lift (like a Genie push-around thingy) are two separate categories again. Kerching! Based on my own experience, I particularly wouldn't recommend Nationwide for training though I'm sure they have trainers better than the muppet I spent a day with.

Universal Access Platforms in Basildon used to be the trainer of choice down South, Bob Gray in particular is a brilliant trainer. They were bought out a year or two ago though, and are now owned by Facelift. No idea if things have changed since then.

IPAF is pretty sucky value for money imo. Scissor lift and self propelled boom are two separate catergories, which is fine, and then trailer-mount boom and man-lift (like a Genie push-around thingy) are two separate categories again. Kerching!

Whilst I agree that the IPAF new categories are strange to say the least, and I appreciate this could be interpreted as a method of making money, the reality be it right or not is that IPAF is the most recognised type of training available for these type of machines.

Based on my own experience, I particularly wouldn't recommend Nationwide for training though I'm sure they have trainers better than the muppet I spent a day with.

I feel that dismissing an entire companies training on the basis of an experience with one trainer is a little unfair. I appreciate that I may of got lucky and experienced two good trainers, I wouldn't like to comment on the basis of just two experiences of the entire companies training and I personally stand by my recommendation.

I'd agree with the assessment of IPAF's categorisation of machine types as being rather too narrow. The fact that trailer-mounted boom and self-propelled boom are two different tickets caused some consternation during the recent training and certification session that we had at work.

Archived