Stepper motors for Technobeam

Jamtastic3

HI BR,

Just wondering,

I've got a Technobeam that has a dead tilt motor. I don't have an exact spare, but I do have a stepper motor for a colour wheel (for the Technobeam)

Can I change the dead tilt motor for this one, or is there specific attribute stepper motors?

Cheers

moderation - added more descriptive title

Can't say for certain but usually the type of motor used for Pan & Tilt is different to the type used for effects such as colour wheels. However the main point of this post is to let you know (if you didn't already) that Technobeams are currently (and possibly always) manufactured by Strong Lighting. If your in need of further info they're probably a good shout.

... or is there specific attribute stepper motors?...

In general steppers can be characterized by just 4 specifications...

1) Size - there are a number of standard motor sizes

2) Steps per rotation

3) Nominal working voltage (or winding resistance

4) Shaft diameter and length

...armed with this info it makes finding generic replacements much easier given that all 4 parameters can be measured.

Can I change the dead tilt motor for this one, or is there specific attribute stepper motors?

Depends :D Stepper motor sizes have been reasonably standardised (NEMA) but you've still got the issue of Unipolar stepper, Bipolar Steppers or Steppers with 8 wires that let you chose how to wire it :-

from wikipedia

An 8 lead stepper is wound like a unipolar stepper, but the leads are not joined to common internally to the motor. This kind of motor can be wired in several configurations:

• Unipolar.
  • Bipolar with series windings. This gives higher inductance but lower current per winding.
  • Bipolar with parallel windings. This requires higher current but can perform better as the winding inductance is reduced.
  • Bipolar with a single winding per phase. This method will run the motor on only half the available windings, which will reduce the available low speed torque but require less current.

Does the spare motor look the same as the original?

When you say the stepper motor is dead , do you mean burnt out, or just jamming. In my experience if the motor is jamming it is due to a build up of iron filings between the armature and the coil laminate base plate.

If this is the case , undo the stepper clean the metalwork with a brass wire brush. Toothbrush size, then check the bearings for ease of movement. clean them with a flush lube then clean the armature and the coil base with the same fluid, and re assemble.

a dremmel with a sanding drum can be used on the winding plate if score lines are visible, but don´t overdo it.,

Good luck.

well im happy to say yes you can use the motor you have, the only difference between the motors in the unit are the length of the shaft. the motors in the unit are referred to as Type 17 stepper motors and the 01 02 03 04 05 06 and 08 are all the same except the shaft length, it is fairly common in times of urgency to substitute a different motor where possible as long as it is still a motor from the technobeam you should have no problems but if you want the correct motor or any advice feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks Ben.

Yeah the only difference between the old and new motors is the shaft length but I'll still be able to attach the pieces me thinks!

Looks like I'll be in work early tomorrow for some maintenance...

Richard: Interesting reply. I'll try this out on the 'dead' motor. The thing with the motor was that it bagan to 'lose' its tilt but touching the motor, you could still feel that it was turning inside. With a little pressure on the mirror in the right direction, the tilt would... well tilt. It's like the bearing are loose so I said 'dead' because by after a week, the mirror just didn't move.

Trust me dont open the motor the HES motors are a horrid thing to open and get working again, you will not be able to get it working well enough to depend on it either, if the motor swap out works then bin the old one, if not the problem you describe can also be the driver chip on its way out but the motor is far more likely.

let us know how it goes

Archived