Returning to work in technical theatre

Sarah Q

Couldn't find anything in the search function...

I have been working in the "real" world for six months now. For a variety of reasons I had decided to take a break from the industry and do something different for a while. Now I feel the time has come to return to technical theatre, but don't know how to put the best spin on my career break and not put off potential employers by seeming flighty or non committed.

What is the best way to deal with this issue in an application/interview situation?

Any feedback gratefully received...

I wouldn't worry over much about the break.

Just be honest - say that you needed a change of direction for whatever reasons, but make it clear that you're back on the theatre treadmill now.

If your CV can demonstrate your pas experiences well, then you should have no worries with anyone picking up on a 6 month gap.

Heck, as I understand it, techs can, like actors, have 'dry spells' can they not...??

;)

What 'real world' job did you do and does it relate to theatre in any way?

I work as a Technical Services Advisor for Debenhams, which involves basic maintenance of the store (plumbing, electrics, carpentry, decorating etc.) and all the Health & Safety aspects in store. For jobs that I cannot do, I organise contractors to attend. There is also a large amount of statutory paperwork to be done, such as maintaining PAT records, Lift Safety certificates...

As said it looks like good experience and will be OK on a CV, but you do have to be able to say why you stopped working in theatre and why you now want to come back as you will be asked this at interview.

Once this job starts to move down you CV it will become less relevant so do you have any contacts who will give you work (get ins, clearing out the prop store etc.) however short term and menial, so that this is not at the top of the list.

Facilities management with a major employer enhances your CV a great deal, though 6 months seems a fairly short time. You will have gained experience in contractor and project management, your H&S experience presumably includes RA's, induction training, H&S supervision of contractors and staff etc.

Work allocation and scheduling are part of the job, customer care and inter-departmental liaison are important to mention, .....shall I go on... There is a whole raft of stuff that you will have learned that you wouldn't if you had stuck where you were and all of it will be valuable in furthering a career in theatre.

Paperwork handling is going to become more important in the future and general office skills should be highlighted.

The most important thing about the break is that you have had time away to reflect on your career, learned stuff in a highly commercial environment and are keen to bring it back with you.

I would suggest jotting down individual jobs you have done and exactly what specifics they entailed; it will probably amaze you how much varied experience you have gained.

Welcome back, Sarah and good luck.

Thanks for the replies so far; they have been very interesting and useful.

My reasons for leaving theatre were that my teenage "hobby" began to seem too much like work, and after my seventh Ed Fringe, I wasn't enjoying it as much as I had done for so long. I adore doing my job, but had lost the enthusiasm. Doing a job in the "real world" has taught me some valuable skills in adminstration, and given me more confidence in my general technical ability. I am one of only three girls doing my job in the whole of Debenhams Plc, which means a lot...

Explaining that to an employer in a positive light seems difficult (especially as I turned down an excellent theatre job to do my present "normal" one)

I'm not really in the bit of the industry you're looking to get in to, but I think we all must have, at some point, gotten a bit fed up of our chosen career and considered getting a "real" job. It has it's benefits after all - presumably you're largely on a nice regular 9 to 5, without too many evenings and weekends? Must be a lot easier to separate your work and personal life too - a problem I find with doing a job I enjoy (sometimes...) is that it's hard to mentally leave work in the office. Obviously every employer is different but I think a lot of them should be sympathetic to the idea of wanting a break from what is, after all, a fairly demanding industry.

Oh yes, the hours are good - evenings and weekends off are nice! But that late night drink with the crew is great too...

Is it more of an issue that I have only stayed in my current job for six months, and wouldn't show staying power or commitment by leaving now?

Having done both shift work and the 5-day week grind, give me the variety of shifts any time! The feeling you get turning over and going back to sleep on a Monday morning while the rest of the world is fighting their way to work through rain, sleet and the British transport system makes up for the lack of a weekend!

As for the OP's particular situation, speaking as a former employer I don't think a gap like this would be held against you. It's more common than you think for people in the entertainment industry to try something else and then decide to get back to what they enjoy. Just be honest and up-front in your answers. Also, don't forget that it might take you a while to find the right job back in the industry. Who knows? Right now, with a regular income, you're job hunting from a position of strength and can afford to be choosy.

Bob

Archived