Analogue to DMX Multiplexer

mr_towers

I'm working in the Adam House theatre in Edinburgh in June, and I'm planning on using the Sirius 48 lookalike lighting board (Eagle 24/48) in there. Only problem is, I need it to spit out DMX and it only does analogue!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find an analogue to DMX converter for hire (ie not a DMX > Analogue unit)? I would build my own, but it's only a one off so I don't see the point or expense . . .

Thanks in advance for help on this bizzare request!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, you need a Multiplexer "mux" (as opposed to a "DeMux")!

As it's a one-off, probbaly worth hiring one in from your local hire shop. SLX and WL certainly used to have these available last time I enquired.

Artistic Licence used to manufacture the DMX-Mux, but they appeared to have stopped selling it now. Probably just as well, as it was quite expensive IIRC. May be worth a search on eBay, though.

I'm sure others will have numerous suggestions for current cheaper products.

HTH

Barney

Is this in the actual theatre downstairs, or in a festival venue? If it's the actual one, the last time I was in there (granted about 10 years ago), they had a Sirius 48 that worked with their dimmers (all analogue IIRC). Are you brining in your own dimmers in addition, or what? Basically, what are you trying to do, and can you do it another way, as a 'mux' will not be that easy to come by. I would have thought hiring a DMX Sirius 48 (or similar) would be easier!

Alasdair

I would second hiring a desk rather than a mux - There is a DMX input in the dimmer room at the back of the Stage in that venue (although bear in mind that the DMX channel numbers don't correspond to the channels on the sockets or on the 'sirius' - I have a feeling that a mux will be a similar cost to a Frog or similar, and seeing as there are 48 ways of dimming in there I don't know why you need one!

Richard

This is indeed downstairs, the reason I ask is I am intending to move the desk downstairs so I can babysit the sound op (who will be in the auditorium) at the same time as running LX! Obviously not absolutely essential (sound op could "man up") but it's something I would like to do if it's possible. The desk is pretty much a sirius but is an Aussie copy (so comes in a very sexy black).

Having said that, I've realised it'd be easier to hire in some longer control cables. So moving the desk is solved ;)

However I'm also wanting to run hazers and a small strobe effect from the board - hence needing it to spit out DMX. A seperate board is an option, but I was seeing if it was easy enough to get a hold of a mux.

Plenty of time before the show so if anyone has any bright ideas I'm most receptive. I'll drop SLX a line and see what happens, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be plan B!

One final point (for those who have been in before), how is the sirius patched up? Have they been sensible and made it 1-1 or is it something strange?

Thanks for the help!

The AH theatre is a little odd. The socket numbers on the bars correspond to the channels on the sirius (as long as people haven't fiddled with any of the bits of hard patching that are dotted around the building) however the actual dimmer channels are not in order, instead the installers hard-patched the desk (via the wiring of the control cables) meaning that if you use the DMX input to control the dimmers you don't get the expected channels coming up. It is easy enough to sort out but a little confusing.

Bear in mind if you do hire in another desk that the only DMX input is in the dimmer room at the rear of the stage, so you need around 30m of DMX to get to the sound position (assuming that you will just remove the usual rear seats at the back auditorium Right)

Also, make sure you keep an eye on your plugging on the advanced bar - it has some very very very odd pairing on it and it is annoying if you don't notice!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - Hiring in some DIN extension cables to make this work, and am looking forward to the day Adam House refurbish the theatre and put a non quirky rig in!

Another thing to note, I've been warned there's a patch panel SL on the balcony bit, so I'll be having a look at that when I get in.

I didn't fancy LampTramp/stevier's consultancy fees - 1x Creamy bun each a minute! Outrageous :P

(Disclaimer - Creamy bun fees may be a figment of poster's imagination. StevieR and LampTramp are most useful people)

I'm working in the Adam House theatre in Edinburgh in June, and I'm planning on using the Sirius 48 lookalike lighting board (Eagle 24/48) in there. Only problem is, I need it to spit out DMX and it only does analogue!

What show is this for, i.e. what company? Is it a student show? Depending on who else is on it and if it's studenty or not I have a DMX sirius 48 that I *may* be able to loan out.

Its the Edinburgh Graduate Theatre Group - and thank you for the kind offer! But I think I've got things sorted out now.

I've found the Mux cards online from somewhere (definately still being sold!), but initial trawlings of StageLX and WL were not positive. I can't remember if there's a StageLX rep on here, if there is it might be worth a PM! (Or you could just call 'em and see what happens! :P)

No probs - the offer is pretty much a standing one for things in Adam House that are vaguely studenty in nature, I work at the Edinburgh Uni Student union and we have a perfectly good Sirius 48 that spends most of it's time in storage. Wouldn't sell it mind you, it's saved a show more than once!

Archived