Analogue to DMX Multiplexer

mr_towers

Soundlight in Germany produce the 3160A-EP (60ch analogue to DMX) http://www.soundlight.de/index.htm choose "Produkte" and then MUX or "31" and you should get there (their site has always been a bit of a muddle and knowing German could help). There are also some other useful bits of conversion/merge gear. I have not dealt with them but they have been going for quite a few years (antique ISA cards still availble !)

They have http://www.showmagic.com/index.html as their UK sales.

Some US and Canadian companies also make MUX cards (sorry but a W** crash lost my links) ; mainly it would seem to interface fairground equipment and FX...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the question arose in another thread recently.

I have one of the Soundlight MUX units beside me waiting to be boxed. Quality looks good, instructions in German, but with adequate thought you can work out that the DIP switches should not be changed for basic operation and the input connections. These are more problematic: you can either use a large D connector or I suggest using a IDE hard disk drive ribbon which fits and DIN or Socapex.

More complicated is serialing boards for 120/180/+ ch operation which is aparently possible. It also indicates over voltage input (over the set max/DMX255 voltage level) and has an onboard power supply and power switch. There appear to be two DMX outputs one of which is isolated with 5pin connectors.

So box, solder up and go.

• 9 months later...

Welcome to the forum SRSlight. However, I think that the moderators do not like extended direct commercial promotion - so be careful. Generally on the forum we solve problems and gather experience and help from others with what we work and "play" with. In this case, the thread may have gone cold and not had recent posts, but your contribution I personally would consider welcome. There are now few companies that still produce these converters in the EU and USA and they are usually expensive. There are entertainment and scientific (!) uses for them.

Members should still search old threads before asking - feedback on reading them and solutions used would also enrich the site.

The unit I referred to above does the job for me (after 2 days of frustration of not getting any sensible output - my fault on simply wiring a DMX cable wrong!!). I needed 60ch+, but others might need only 12 to 16 channels so the unit you offer could be of use to them.

Unfortunately SRS don't do MUX units (looking at the the site linked to) so it was a pointless post anyway! The DEMUX units are not dissimilar to the Botex units we already know and love :stagecrew:

For Swampman

Thanks for advice - I hope that moderators don't stop it - I think that the view of problems from manufacturer side should help other forum users with their problem.

If I know the solution I'll post it - I'll not post the don't usefull posts.

For Sleah

Sorry I have sent the wrong category - we manufacture both MUX and DEMUX - the website is a bit outdated.

Please look to the DIN devices - there is ATD16- 16 channel 0-10V to DMX converter - we should also deliver it with more channels without any problems.

They should be also in rack mount format - same as the DTA1664, DTA1648 - currently DEMUX units.

http://www.srslight.sk/index.php?index=pro...&product=20

PS: We don't import devices from far east - we created it so if someone need any customization we're open ...

A bit off topic...

SRSlight - It is good to see original electronics and design; a lot of clever people made brilliant solutions in the days of shortage before the Wall fell in support of grand State culture, now I am sure many things are different. As I said it is good to know of alternative solutions and European production companies.

The UK has a strong amateur tradition of public shows and people grew up into appreciating culture and music. Result is the many "small" manufacturers that send quality products worldwide. Spain has the Fiesta tradition with dance music bands and that had a similar effect with speaker making companies. In all cases simple little boxes may hold a big show together.

If needed, how would the 16ch multiplexers you make be joined to provide 24/32/64channels?

About Soundlight: it is not always easy to locate a product on their web; the same could be said for some small UK companies, the item is there but you cannot find it!

About Soundlight: it is not always easy to locate a product on their web; the same could be said for some small UK companies, the item is there but you cannot find it!

product was on website, bought one, they said it was a mistake still being on website as they don't make it anymore

A bit off topic...

If needed, how would the 16ch multiplexers you make be joined to provide 24/32/64channels?

You should use the DMX merger for merge signals together. - but I\'t simpler just let me know how many channels do you need and we should

create that device for you - currently we\'re planning to put there 48/64 channels MUX - same as the DTA - currently produced - but with the Male connectors Dsub25-pin.

I hope it\'ll be ready after Plasa 2010 - there you should visit us for see the ATD16 personally.

Moderation: Quote edited. BR standard is to only use quotes when necessary for clarity, to edit them to show just the necessary and to place the quote at the beginning of the message.

Any other 20ch+ options still out there ? Pathway Connect & Artistic Licence were/are prohibitively priced and another one called "Nothern lights" disappeared.

Ianl:

Thanks for the update, I visited their web recently but did not go in at depth - typical of some manufacturers to drop a good and useful product. Though A to D converters are a rare need nowadays; and a 1991 design with large chips, sockets etc is not fashionable nor cheap to produce - at least some of the parts that go pop & bang can be replaced (and you can see them without a microscope) !!

SRSlight - please do not feel insulted by my request above. It is always necessary to consider carefully how many units you may sell of a similar design before spending money and time on research and developement. The Soundlight units are usually just boards with all the bits on but well built.

I know that there is one rule : every custommer likes something special - that's reason why I'm asking what you want. For me the 16 channels are same like the 64 channels - from point of design. The first client has been asking 16 channel version - so we created it - but if someone need to have 64 channels - we do it again without any problems and EXTRA fees for development.

It's easy - when you're making cca 2-3 boards weekly - as we do, then you got better pricing for it and you can make mixed types on one PCB sheet with very good price. So if you need something - just ask - we should find the way how to develop/manufacture/deliver it.

• 1 year later...

Artistic Licence used to manufacture the DMX-Mux, but they appeared to have stopped selling it now. Probably just as well, as it was quite expensive IIRC.

Barney

I just checked at A L, and it is still in sale. You are right about it being pricey, though. But for the DIY solder-eager person one can buy the AL4020 chip and some more components elsewhere, and build one oneself ;-)

Regards Kåre Olai

• 4 years later...

Archived