DIP switching

minimac

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way is to follow this basic procedure...

Is the number you want greater than 256? If yes, switch DIP for 256 ON and take 256 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 128? If yes, switch DIP for 128 ON and take 128 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 64? If yes, switch DIP for 64 ON and take 64 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 32? If yes, switch DIP for 32 ON and take 32 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 16? If yes, switch DIP for 16 ON and take 16 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 8? If yes, switch DIP for 8 ON and take 8 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 4? If yes, switch DIP for 4 ON and take 4 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 2? If yes, switch DIP for 2 ON and take 2 from value.

Is the remaining value 1? If yes, switch DIP for 1 ON.

The easiest way is to follow this basic procedure...

Is the number you want greater than 256? If yes, switch DIP for 256 ON and take 256 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 128? If yes, switch DIP for 128 ON and take 128 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 64? If yes, switch DIP for 64 ON and take 64 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 32? If yes, switch DIP for 32 ON and take 32 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 16? If yes, switch DIP for 16 ON and take 16 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 8? If yes, switch DIP for 8 ON and take 8 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 4? If yes, switch DIP for 4 ON and take 4 from value.

Is the remaining value greater than 2? If yes, switch DIP for 2 ON and take 2 from value.

Is the remaining value 1? If yes, switch DIP for 1 ON.

argh, reminds me of the two ICT lessons ive sat through having the teacher explain binary numbers thinking... 'I know this, I already know this' and yawning periodically... :angry:

I just add up the switches until I get what I want - so if I need 112 I'll flick up

64, 32 & 16

Just find that you have to be good at mental maths :angry:

Stu

What's the largest number on the dip switches that is lower than the number I want? Flick that. Ok, what's the largest number on the dip switches that lower than the remainder? Flick that. Repeat ad nauseam. It's quite easy after a while.

What's the largest number on the dip switches that is lower than the number I want? Flick that.  Ok, what's the largest number on the dip switches that lower than the remainder?  Flick that. Repeat ad nauseam.  It's quite easy after a while.

And if you carry a little crib sheet with the bit values on then it makes life a little easier as well.

ie: 256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

If your mental arithmetic is rubbish, you can get cheap pocket calculators that do the conversion automagically, but it's best not to rely on such technology in case it gets lost.

- And carrying things up the tallie with you probably isn't a good idea(!)

Yep it was mentioned that a release for OS5 would be avaiable from Summer 2003, but obviously this has been and gone :)

I'll have to e-mail them tomorrow - and here's me thinking I'd found a work use for my new Palm ;)

Stu

Archived