DIP switching

minimac

Guest lightnix
I'm sure you can get one specially made for a palm top thingymajigy!
A friend of mine knocked up a spreadsheet for his Psion a few years back, which did the job very well.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure you can get one specially made for a palm top thingymajigy!
A friend of mine knocked up a spreadsheet for his Psion a few years back, which did the job very well.

Yeah,

You could probably knock a formula up using a IF Function.

I'll have a go and see where it gets me

Sam

Hi all

If people are interested in a DIP switch calculator for Microsoft Pocket PC then I can knock one up fairly easily, just let me know and I'll sort some code out.

PN

Oh yes please, that'd be fab. There's absolutely Nothing for a Pocket PC out there!

pocket pc software is rare as no one really wants to go near win CE for it.

For very good reason - CE is lobotomised Windows - it is a pig to write for. (I have in the past ported a Geographical Information System to CE)

The easiest way would ne to write an Excel spreadsheet, active-sync it onto the PDA and use it in pocket excel.

The way I was taught to convert to binary was to successsively divide by 2, the remainder being the value for the relevant bit.

e.g.

42 / 2 = 21 rem 0

21 / 2 = 10 rem 1

10 / 2 = 5 rem 0

5 / 2 = 2 rem 1

2 / 2 = 1 rem 0

1 / 2 = 0 rem 1

Taking the remainders in reverse order: 42 base 10 = 101010 base 2

You can use this to convert from base 10 to any base by dividing by the base. This form of arithmetic is known as modulo arithmetic.

To answer the original question: I do it in my head because I have been doing binary and hexadecimal for donkeys years.

HTH

Ellis

Pocket PC is easy to write in as Embedded Visual Basic, just a few features removed from normal Visual Basic, an Excel spreadsheet would also work as mentioned by ebirt. However as we all know Pocket PC isn't the easiest to enter data with in something like Excel, so hopefully something else will be easier to work with.

PN

Doesn't anybody use their brains anymore and just work out the dip switches in their heads???

Brain cells die a lot slower if you use actually them, it's only a little bit of maths, not rocket science!

Entirely agree. I go with addition rather than subtraction as I find it easier to do in the head. Say you want to make 57 - nearest number is 32 then add 16 gets you to 48 then add 8 gets you to 56 then add 1 gets you to 57. Easy. By the time you'd got your palm-top out, run the software and looked it up I could have finnished addressing the whole rig (within reason!).

It does all remind me of that old joke, though:

"I've explained binary to you 10 times now and I'm not going over it a third time".

Doesn't anybody use their brains anymore and just work out the dip switches in their heads???

Brain cells die a lot slower if you use actually them, it's only a little bit of maths, not rocket science!

I entirely agree with you Suzette however the palm software also did DMX universes giving local addresses depending on which universe you were using and the calculator bit was very handy for such things!

Edit to correct bad grammar

Although I adgree with youm if you are pressed for time in a Get In the you don't want to be standing arround practising your menatl mats when it would be so much easier just to do it with a few clicks of a button. Technology is here to help us mainly as a timesaving tool so lets use it.

Sam

Archived