multicore to speaker stack

The Boogie Man

Hi Troops,

I'm about to upgrade the connectors on the rear of my cabs from to quarter inch jack 2.5mm individual cables to some form of multicore with a fan out.

I've looked at the vdc catalogue. At the socapex cables with socapex to eight nl4fc fans.

I've also seen a couple of harting cables with fans to 15amp plugs on ebay that I thought might be good with the plug sockets changed to speakons.

Are they both good ways to do it or is there another way?

Cheers

Baz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many ways do you need? If 4 circuits per side is enough, might an NL8 to four NL2 / NL4 connectors be OK? If four cables won't fit in the NL8 too easily, how about a small box with an NL8 chassis connector, then 4 cable glands and the cables to your cabs?

Socapex and Hartings are good, rugged connectors, but are relatively expensive? At least with Speakons, the connector is designed for loudspeaker use!

Yes, both Hartings and Socapex (19 pin) are generally used for dimmed power. There's often a sharp intake of breath when loudspeaker use is mentioned, but when used for audio, outputs are on male pins, and it would be quite hard to actually confuse the two uses. VDC will make whatever you ask for, so if it's not in the catalogue, don't worry!

Simon

Not quite. Harting has sixteen pins and the chassis, rather than the 18/19 of soca. Although it would still give enough for eight speakers. If you use existing cable, make sure the earths haven't been grouped in the extensions, they shouldn't have been, only in the breakin/outs, but its worth checking.

If you're upgrading the speaker plates then how about buying pannel mount connectors both speakon and multicore and building the breakout box into the bottom cab on each stack. For the Other end how about building the Multicore Connector into the amp rack.

Josh

Hi Josh, I like the thinking, it's the sort of idea I like coming up with. The only down side to that is that whilst the stack is, well a stack, It's modular so the cabs can be run individually. Ditto the amp rack. The amps are all in seperate skbs so they can be used as required. Doing that would mean always having to take a particulr cab or amp into the gig. And sods law would mean if one was going to die.

Baz

HI Bruce, I'll check in case I'm wrong, but 3x nl4 to feed 6 cabs?

Archived