Magic Q PC and Linux

johnhuson

The Enttec Pro is stable and, IIRC, supports RDM (not that much else does!).

Sadly it's implementation is limited unless you specifically buy the RDM version which is significantly more expensive than the standard Pro.

I have recently brought the Enttec open USB DMX Dongle. Will it not work with Magic Q PC on mac?

Did you bother to read the whole thread before adding your question to it?

Just discovered after chatting with Matt that the Enttec Open USB interface that I'm using at the moment isn't supported under the Linux and Mac versions of Magic Q, though there appears to be very good reasoning why not.

The reason we don't support the Enttec Open interface on the Mac and Linux versions of MagicQ is because the Open device relies on the PC to handle the DMX timing, which is particularly difficult to deal with under these operating systems.

:(

The reason we don't support the Enttec Open interface on the Mac and Linux versions of MagicQ is because the Open device relies on the PC to handle the DMX timing, which is particularly difficult to deal with under these operating systems. Also, nothing against Enttec or their products, but we have found the Open device to be not as reliable and stable as the Pro, and would recommend that people use this in a show situation.

Matt

Note: temporary threadjack

Wait wait wait...

MagicQ Supports OSX now?!

Awesome! I even have an Enttec Pro Module :-)

Second hijacking... Sorry

Just reading the thread, for info only, probably not gonna buy anything. But looking on the website, it doesnt seem to give any costings. Or am I not looking hard enough? Just thinking because the panto company were wondering about buying some more equipment - we have a number of IT bods so building up a pc to run an interface wouldn be to hard.

current price list (I think ) www.chamsys.co.uk/pdfdown.asp?dl=6

That price list is long out of date so has now been removed from the website. If you're after current prices then send me a PM or an email.

The software itself is free so you get 18 universes of DMX, LED and media control for nothing. It is compatible with a range of 3rd party interfaces, along with our own professional interfaces and wings.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
Wait wait wait...

MagicQ Supports OSX now?!

And has done since version 1.3.0.0! OSX versions for Intel and Power PC are available on our downloads page at http://www.chamsys.co.uk/downloads.asp

RE-Hijack!!

Not impressed with the new version. Window is bigger than my desktop (???) (spills onto 2nd screen, no options for resizing) and the text and buttons don't appear to work reliably. Still confusing as all hell to learn... :-( What happened to the "easy-to-use & clean look" mentality that's supposed to come with OSX apps?

Does anyone have a screenshot of what it's supposed to look like (and do) on OSX?

Hi Scott,

Please could you drop me an email with a screenshot of your problem and some details about your system (OSX version, what MagicQ version you are running, Intel of PPC, etc) and we'll have a look at the problem for you.

Regards,

Matt

Archived