DMX chaining

lightingyoung

well how happy!! we all agree on something!! but im sorry I dispute on one thing mentioned ! for temp. rigs etc I have never had a problem using decent - ish mic cable. I know you shoudnt really and we all know the resons why (eyes start to glaze over) but so long as I have had the end chain or chains terminated, so far , theres never been a problem - and ive been using it for the last 13 years!

Of course, "proper" DMX cable should and only be used for install work, but I woudnt throw all my toys out of the pram if mic cable is being used on a temp job. After all , its cheaper and more accessable then the other.

but yes, I know thats not to say its particually the right thing to do , but its not gonna hurt anyone ether!!

Of course, "proper" DMX cable should and only be used for install work, but I wouldn't throw all my toys out of the pram if mic cable is being used on a temp job. After all , its cheaper and more accessable then the other.

While I really don't care what sort of cable you use, I have been known to get very <_< if I can't mike the band up because some #### has put half my mic cables in the grid. And this has happened.

I have never had a problem using decent - ish mic cable. I know you shoudnt really and we all know the resons why

I use both mic cable and DMX cable with no termanators without any problems!

Sigh. We don't really care whether it "works for you". It breaks the standard, and it's fundamentally wrong. If it works, it's by accident and chance rather than by design. That's not a good foundation on which to build any robust system.

If you're just "playing with DMX in your bedroom"or even in the workshop, then I guess it's fine.....but if you were building a corporate event this way, and it failed half way through because you had cut corners (I'm resisting the temptation to say "because you were negligent"), how could you justify it to the client?

Archived