Connecting 8 speakers up to my amp

mkbatten

Hi, I have 8 peavey messenger ST15 speakers, 8 ohms, and wish to connect them up to a behringer europower 2500 amp. How should they be connected so that there are 4 speakers connected to each of the output channel?

do they just daisychain together? or would this make the ohms drop down to low for the amp??

many thanks

Matt

Matt,

The Behringer will deliver 1200W at 2 Ohms. The Peavey speakers handle 175W 'RMS' each. You can wire four cabinets in parallel per amplifier channel (simply daisy chain them).

The amp is rated to work at this low impedance, but it's likely that the distortion level will increase a little. Also, it puts more stress on the amp.

Your setup should work OK, but long term I'd prefer to use two amps - even if one was just there for backup...

Simon

PS - normally you would use more amplifier power than the loudspeakers are rated for (to allow for headroom). In this case, it's about right. However, I'm not sure how "robust" the Peavey loudspeakers are. So, please don't 'thrash' the above setup or allow the amp to clip. The loudspeakers may well be rated at 8Ohms, but their actual impedance will drop below this for part of their frequency range. Burning loudspeaker coil varnish is an expensive smell ;-)

Either as Simon suggested or, depending on the practicality of it, you could wire them in pairs in series and wire the pairs in parallel, with the same 4 speakers per amplifier channel. This would provide a greater resistance for the amplifier to drive, so you would suffer less distortion, particularly at higher volumes.

Jake

Jake's suggestion will work (as long as you are OK wiring up a series parallel connection!). However, the amp will deliver only 450W per channel into 8 Ohms. If you do not need more power than this (i.e. you need the extra loudspeakers for coverage - in say a distributed system, not to achieve maximum sound levels) then the speakers will be fine with a little over 100W per speaker. Push the system harder, and they will be underpowered...

One problem with the series/parallel setup is that it take you back to 8ohms, so you'll only get 500W from each side of the amp, which is not going to enough for these speakers.

Also, to wire separate speakers this way involves the use of some strange cables/adaptors, leaving more room for error when setting up.

EDIT: Well & trully beaten, due to answering the phone half way through the post :)

I've got EP2500's in stock and can't fault them at all. They quite often get used at 4ohms and yes they get a bit warm, but nothing to get worried about.

I did an A/B test with a QSC RMX2450 and the result were quite supprising. Joe Bloggs audience go'er will know no differant.

I Have used a Behringer amp before and it did not like being used at 4ohm never mind 2 ohm. When pushed at 4 ohms the amp heated up very quickly and cut out, leaving me looking like a plank.

I've used countless of these amps at 8 and 4ohms and driven them hard for long periods of time. I've never had a problem with them cutting out. I've also run them hard at 2ohms and wilst they do get warm as you say, still no cutting out.

I'd suggest this amp is checked over and the ventilation checked (fans working no obstructions) as the amps will NOT do this under normal conditions.

As for the OP. THe method Simon suggests is your best bet here, just be careful not to drive things to hard for the benefit of the speakers and keep an eye on the temperature of the amp.

Rob

I Have used a Behringer amp before and it did not like being used at 4ohm never mind 2 ohm. When pushed at 4 ohms the amp heated up very quickly and cut out, leaving me looking like a plank.

I've used countless of these amps at 8 and 4ohms and driven them hard for long periods of time. I've never had a problem with them cutting out. I've also run them hard at 2ohms and wilst they do get warm as you say, still no cutting out.

I'd suggest this amp is checked over and the ventilation checked (fans working no obstructions) as the amps will NOT do this under normal conditions.

As for the OP. THe method Simon suggests is your best bet here, just be careful not to drive things to hard for the benefit of the speakers and keep an eye on the temperature of the amp.

Rob

I am going to get an engineer to look at it when he has time as he is very busy atm. I am glad that other people have said that the Behringer amps are quite good as it proves I may have had a rouge one sold to me. The amp atm doesn't even power up, but asap I will get back to you and let you know what has happened.

I am glad that other people have said that the Behringer amps are quite good as it proves I may have had a rouge one sold to me.

Be sure to wipe off all the makeup before you give it to him. :rolleyes:

Sorry mods, I couldn't resist that one.

Archived