Laser Pointers in Rigging and Focusing

Frag_Me

Hello chaps and chapesses,

I was recently in a discussion with a friend of mine about the use of laser pointers when rigging or focusing to allow somebody to very easily point at a position which is at a distance - for example if somebody calling a focus decides that a lantern needs moving slightly, he or she can mark the point on the bar with a nice red dot and ask for the lantern to be moved rather than saying "left a bit! bit more! 2 inches! stop!" or suchlike. This struck me as being quite a good idea, as it would save a good few seconds for every fiddle, and time is certainly money.

On the other hand, I can see that this could cause issues. There is the obvious safety implication of using a laser at any time, but they are designed to point and pointing is what a person would be doing. Also, there is the fact that the general response to this idea would be that everything should have been precisely pre-planned in the first place to avoid any shuffling along bars, and that is my main point of concern. I like the idea of being able to quickly point out a location along a bar for a rigging fellow to easily find, but I'm concerned that if I whip out a laser pointer in a professional environment I would be hounded by people who associate them with blinding people and messing around, and saying that if I'd done my job properly in the first place when designing whatever it is I'm working on then I wouldn't have to use it.

So, after that little ramble... What are your thoughts on the laser pointer as a tool in theatre? Unnaceptable or a helpful solution in some cases?

L.

I think the danger aspect is pretty low, it seems like a good idea, a useful one too for those picky directors, who know exactly where they want lamps hanging. It would save much shuffling around, that said sometimes it is left to whoever is focusing said fixture to move it around a little on the bar to get the best positioning.

Lasers get used all the time in my theatre, wether it be for the drop saw that drop a straight line via a laser, or via the laser measuring tools we use when needing accurate but quick measurements.

Laser levels seem to get used more and more in theatre, so I can't see too many people complaining, as long as you aren't thinking of pointing with a 300mW laser or anything like that <_<

if I'd done my job properly in the first place when designing whatever it is I'm working on then I wouldn't have to use it.

Unless the technicians have had the scale rule out when they were rigging then asking for a lantern to be moved 2" has nothing to do with how accurate the design is. Even if you were asking them to move it 2' it is just part of the evolution of the design (so long as you don't want to move every lantern 2'!)

So I don't think you would be given a hard time about your design, they would just rib you mercilessly about being gadget-boy.

I'd be concerned about looking like a pretentious idiot to the house crew if I were you - if someone turned up and started using a laser pointer at most of the venues I've ever worked at, they wouldn't have been taken very seriously...

There's a difference between "not having a fixed design/being accurate when rigging" and "taking measures to ensure that changes can be made as swiftly and easily as possible" - things always change, is it not best to be prepared for those changes and to allow them to happen as efficiently as possible?

Bryson - why do you think that is?

Because it's an affectation, not a tool with any real practical advantages. We simply don't work with the kind of precision that would require a laser pointer. You'd end up looking like "gadget-boy" indeed - and many inhouse crews are intrinsically conservative anyway, so wouldn't hesitate to "extract the urine" - negating any possible marginal time gains.

Because it's an affectation, not a tool with any real practical advantages. We simply don't work with the kind of precision that would require a laser pointer. You'd end up looking like "gadget-boy" indeed - and many inhouse crews are intrinsically conservative anyway, so wouldn't hesitate to "extract the urine" - negating any possible marginal time gains.

Sorry Bryson but I have to disagree with you on this.

On this side of the globe we use a wide array of laser levellers, measurers, pointers and other 'laser gadgets' almost daily. They all have their purpose and just speed up the work and take out a lot of guess work. The usual response when a new 'gadget' is introduced is one of interest as most of the crew can see the benefits, to the point where if you walk into a venue nowadays with a tape measure someone is likely to ask you if you lost your laser measure and if you need to borrow theirs'.

I'd say it all comes down on how it is being used.

If it is used by a little arrogant tw@t to point out how to move a PAR64 an inch to the left, it would probably end up where the sun doesn't shine, but when used to illustrate which points to use 70ft up in the air, it becomes very handy.

My previous post was really to say that crews are possibly a little less conservative than Bryson suggested, but maybe that is just an antipodean thing <_<

I don't really care - I'm just saying that people will mercilessly rip the p*ss out of the OP if he uses it in the way he describes. I offer no judgements on their justification, merely offer observation of how crews behave.

The description of the all-forgiving, entirely unsarcastic crews doesn't tally with the Australians I've met, I have to say....

On this side of the globe we use a wide array of laser levellers, measurers, pointers and other 'laser gadgets' almost daily.

In the Northern Hemisphere: Plumb lasers, rotating laser levels and laser meters (Disto) yes. Laser pointers, not so much. They have their uses, but Bryson is quite right.

I'm already developing a pet hate for people getting me in the eye with a plumb laser while I'm chuffing up chains. Start waving a laser pointer around while I'm up a truss focussing lights and you're likely to get a laser pointer enema.

if you walk into a venue nowadays with a tape measure someone is likely to ask you if you lost your laser measure and if you need to borrow theirs'.

"You're obviously new. No, I haven't lost my Disto, its in my toolbox over there. The first job this morning is to mark out, kindly put your foot on the end of this tape, shut up, watch and learn."

The Disto hasn't made the tape measure obsolete for the same reason they haven't stopped making hammers now that cordless drill/drivers are so cheap and reliable.

I cannot think of a need for a laser pointer to do what the OP describes. If it needs moving "a few inches left", then a verbal command should suffice. If you cannot describe the location, it is just as effective to grab your torch and shine it in the general area (or just use the pointing devices attached to the ends of your arms).

As for laser tools, sure they have their place, but I would hesitate to say they "replace" their analogue cousins in theatres in this day and age. They are handy on occasion, but there is a lot to be said for a piece of string with a weight attached etc.

Even if you were asking them to move it 2' it is just part of the evolution of the design (so long as you don't want to move every lantern 2'!)

OT

Not mentioning any names, but a certain high(ish) profile LD is known for that! The lighting crew leave up to 5m of slack TRS coiled near each lantern to accomodate the nomadic nature of each fixture. ** laughs out loud **.

If you have worked with him, you will know who I mean.

Archived