Laser Pointers in Rigging and Focusing

Frag_Me

Even if you were asking them to move it 2' it is just part of the evolution of the design (so long as you don't want to move every lantern 2'!)

OT

Not mentioning any names, but a certain high(ish) profile LD is known for that! The lighting crew leave up to 5m of slack TRS coiled near each lantern to accomodate the nomadic nature of each fixture. ** laughs out loud **.

If you have worked with him, you will know who I mean.

5m? each lantern? :o then IMHO that's a really daft and lazy thing to do. What's wrong with using an extension if the lantern has to move?

5m? each lantern? :o then IMHO that's a really daft and lazy thing to do. What's wrong with using an extension if the lantern has to move?

I said 5m extra TRS (also known as extensions, if you like) not 5m long mains leads.

WHEN the lantern has to move the last thing you want, as one of the 3-4 lampies 8m up on the truss, is to be dicking about getting extra cables sent up.

And yes, it is indeed a question of when and not if.

I think the answer speaks for itself. Laser Pointers have been about for years, but haven't been adopted for use in our line of work. Distos and levels have, so I'd guess people still favour using vocal commands. Plus there's also the fact in your physically sat up on the truss your unlikely to see a red dot on the underside of the truss....

R.e. the poster who uses the laser to work out where the genie will end up, did you also have the parking sensors fitted to the genie? :o :)

Hi Guys and Gals

I work in the film and television field here in Australia. I am increasingly seeing gaffers using lasers to point out changes that need to occur in the rig before we start shooting.

Lasers are not practical all the time, but when the grid height is 50 ft (ish) and is incredibly crowded with all manner of fixtures, it is easier to use a laser to highlight fixtures that need to move or places that nets/blacks/reflectors etc need to be placed.

A crowded grid can lead to confusion as to what needs to move where, and when you are time critical as the shooting crew is arriving in 4 hrs, then you cannot afford to be making mistakes.

As I said, it is not an idea that works in all situation, but it seems to be a time saver in the area I am in.

Cheers from Oz

Chris

On this side of the globe we use a wide array of laser levellers, measurers, pointers...
I work in the film and television field here in Australia. I am increasingly seeing gaffers using lasers to point ....

So the answer to the original post appears to be emigration, which is possibly what the crew would encourage him to do.

To be fair there are LD's and Production Managers who have the experience, personality, authority and respect to go in to a venue wave a laser pointer around, if they felt that was useful, and get away with only a few friendly comments but as the OP is an 18 year old student - don't do it.

On this side of the globe we use a wide array of laser levellers, measurers, pointers...
I work in the film and television field here in Australia. I am increasingly seeing gaffers using lasers to point ....

So the answer to the original post appears to be emigration, which is possibly what the crew would encourage him to do.

To be fair there are LD's and Production Managers who have the experience, personality, authority and respect to go in to a venue wave a laser pointer around, if they felt that was useful, and get away with only a few friendly comments but as the OP is an 18 year old student - don't do it.

You are absolutely right. Its rare that I will pull one out.

When anyone that I work with uses one, it is a tool for the job at hand not some wannabe hero trying to look like the hero. :)

I'm not a gadget boy, but I do keep a laser pointer around for the few tasks that it's most useful for. I've had visiting audio techs (who can't touch their own mics themselves) be greatly reassured when I hold the pointer alongside a shotgun mic FOH, while he/she tells me how to adjust it. I hold the same pointer alongside a measurment mic (somehow they all have a cylindrical construction) when setting up a SIM or SIM-type Fourier analysis system, to be certain it's as straight-on as possible to a speaker box 20 m away.

I don't really approve of using a laser level on the grid to find a mark made on the stage deck, but the fact is it increases the quality of the work when the man on the grid is not as experienced/talented as the road man might have hoped for!

I don't really approve of using a laser level on the grid to find a mark made on the stage deck, but the fact is it increases the quality of the work when the man on the grid is not as experienced/talented as the road man might have hoped for!

Bingo :)

And that goes for the comment about laser pointers and genies too...

Good to see so many replies to this topic!

I suspected that the general consensus might be that the overall gain one might get from using a laser pointer would be greatly outweighed by the people laughing alongside! It's one of those things that would be handy in a couple of situations (like, for example cshaks 50ft grid needing a quick bit of pointing to flag up a fixture, it's just what you need in a hurry when you want so say "that one!") but isn't generally accepted as a "sensible" tool for general use in the industry, and I can see why - in most cases it would probably provide very little in the way of timesaving and by the time you had explained to everyone that there was a red zot on something it would be tea time!

Thanks for a sensible and well reasoned topic in response to my original post!

• 2 weeks later...

I sell laser pointers and more and more I see comapnies buying them for similiar uses , indeed sold 6 to pinewood today for "green screen" work at least that what was I was told .

Anyways just wanted to point out the ONLY legal laser pointers you can use in a work enviroment without jumping thru lots of H&S hoops are models that are class 2 , <1mW , green lasers in this power output are still bright enough for most work environments except outside daylight work.

hope my .02c helped !

PAUL

Archived