Heat resistive cable!!!

SceneMaster

Where can I get cheep heat resistive cable and sieving which can go inside a patt23 as the cable put in by some idiot (which was household flex has melted) :blink:. This cable will have to resist very high temps maybe fabric cable would be better as school have used this in the past. Any ideas?

If you mean fabric covered cable as you sometime find on domestic irons then don't, it is not the correct stuff to use for lanterns.

What you should be using is a Silicone insulated mains cable (sometimes called TSR heat resistant). It is designed to work at up to 180 degrees. You can buy it in cut lengths from any good theatrical supplier, on-line from someone like Stage Electrics who call it CABH1.5 or from someone like RS (part number 192-9756) in 25m reels.

To protect the singles inside the lantern once the outer jacket has been stripped you might want to use a fibre glass reinforced sleeve, again from RS who list it as 'Acrylic Heat Resisting Expanable Braid'.

Terralec had some cut lengths in their bargain section in january 'bout 600mm I think. £1 a length I think.

Rewires should be done by a competant person this likley EXCLUDES pupils for insurance reasons. RS AC or SE also good sources. IF heat resist is too pricey then fit 500mm heat resist and a flex joiner to normal flex ( not choc block a joiner in a cover with cord grips).

RS do a silicon heat resistant cable by the drum. It is not cheap and is difficult to work with.

Companies like Stage Electrics will supply individual lengths.

These heat resistant cables are very difficult to work with becatuse the inner insulation is very easy to damage. Whoever does the work (make sure that they are competent), they should be very fussy about ensuring that the inner cores are not nicked when the outer is stripped off.

Also, achieving a good earth connection to the case is essential. When rewiring Pattern 23s in the past I have run a jumper from the lamp slider to the case. Also make sure that the insulating disk/spacer between the P28 base and the slider is present - I have seen some lanterns with this missing, making the connections very close to the metalwork of the case.

• 5 years later...

Just dragging this thread out of the ether to ask if anybody has any updated suppliers for 1.5mm^2 Silicone cable, for re-wiring lamps. I will call our usual suppliers (none of them have it in the catalogue but I'm sure some of them must hold it) but was just wondering if anyone could recommend any products from the major electronic suppliers that might be cheaper - I had a look at both Canford and CPC and couldn't find anything appropriate at either.

Thanks guys

RS do 3 core, 1.5mmsq. in 25 metre reels, part number 192-7956.

A bit steep, cost wise, but RS always are.

They also do 0.75mmsq. too, rated to 13A, so this could be used with 10A dimmer circuits...

Thanks guys

It looks like it will have to be a special order then as opposed to going on a CPC / Farnell order.

I've just had a look at electrical (local DIY and Screwfix) and both of them stock what they call a 'heat resistant cable', for installing ovens and the like, but it's only rated to 80°C.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

They also do 0.75mmsq. too, rated to 13A, so this could be used with 10A dimmer circuits...

It's for Patt 243s, so I could get away with 0.75, but I was looking at over-spec'ing it just because 0.75 seems awfully weedy - am I wrong to do this?

If you're putting 5A plugs on it, then 0.57mm2 would be fine as the sockets it goes into should be protected at 5A.

If it's a 15A or 16A, I'd go with the bigger wire.

It's really about what's feeding it - you don't want a short in the lampholder to melt the wire before the dimmer trips out.

Yeah - I'd seen it at 10/10 as well.

It'll be fed from EKO dimmers, think they are rated to 10 amps a channel so I will use 1.5mm^2.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

[Edit]: I also asked about replacement G38 lamp bases, as a couple of them have cracked, but as I investigate further it appears that about half of them have been converted to GY16 lamp bases, and given both the lower cost of these bases and the seemingly improved strength I think I will convert the rest to GY16 as well.

Archived