Moving heads optics

apradhan

I am trying to figure out what the optics inside of a moving head consists of. Is there any information out there in the web? I would like to know the optical design, what reflectors are used, how the gobos are illuminated, etc.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

RTFM(s)

I'll explain:

Go to the manufacture's site, for example, robe, go to a product, and read the manuals, look at the diagrams.. hell go to your local theatre/club/technical friend, and look inside one.

A gobo:its a shape, blocks out some light... doesn't block out other bits.. it's illuminated.. by a lamp(?!)... or am I missing something here?

Simon

Indeed. How technical are you trying to get here? A moving head in general is no different to any conventional light. Roughly:

Reflector > Lamp > Aperture > Effects > Lens(es)

Naturally different fixture have a slightly different order to optimise the performance of the unit. But as such each set of effects, lenses, and the order of them will be unit specific.

As Simon suggested go and have a look at one!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestions. I have looked through everything on the web (product manuals, pictures, websites) and I could not find any info on the optical design principles.

I guess my question came off a little vague.

More specific questions:

• Is there any intermediate lenses between the reflector and the GOBO to create some a kohler illumination at the GOBO plane for uniformity?
  • Does the outer lens have mechanical zoom?
  • Is the imaging telecentric? In other words, are there many object planes of GOBOs that get magnified equally? Or are all gobos placed on the same plane?
  • What is the acceptance angle for a typical system?
  • What is the throw distance? Is this variable?
  • Do you want to image the GOBO or just illuminate it?

I guess the best thing to do is buy one and take it apart. I am looking for perhaps one that is slightly old or even broken. Got one?

Brian, just saw your link. Thanks...that looks a lot like what I need.

Is this a wind up question/s or what ?

Anything you need to know about a certain moving light WILL be in the manual. Failing that, speak to the companies technical department and they might be able to help further. They may even be able to send you some R&D plans or something

Might be worth taking a look in the last few issuses of LSI,theve been doing a regular article on the inner workings of various movers

Its also worth pointing out you should be able to get access to LSI online for free from their website, if you aren't subscribed to the paper one.

See my link above.

Bit confused by all the questions :S but if I understand right one question was asking " are all gobo's on the same plane" well yes, they are all on a wheel which you moving around, this wheel has a little section that cuts into the light (if that makes sense) and then the light shines through the gobo, therefore projecting it onto the floor.

Dunno if that helps..... bit confused by what ur asking tho :)

if I understand right one question was asking " are all gobo's on the same plane" well yes, they are all on a wheel which you moving around

Unless the fixture in question has two gobo wheels, in which case, no, they're not in the same optical plane. You need to adjust focus to project each one sharply.

Archived