Micro Torches

Suzette

Just wondering if anyone knows how long the batteries in one of these lasts??

I have a show running for just 2 weeks and all the actors have one of these micro torches on their costume. 2 hour show but the torches are not on all the time. Can anyone can give me an idea of how many hours they might last?? Each torch uses 2 x CR2016 3V lithium battery.

Thanks

7(?) shows a week x 2 hours x 2 weeks = 28hrs

Doesn't sound like very long for one of those things, but I'm guessing.

Try leaving one on for 24hrs and see if it still works.

They're nice and cheap though.

9 shows in total, 2 dress rehs, approx 9 hours of tech rehs + maybe another 5 hours of use in the rehearsal room prior to get-in.

When you say doesn't seem to be very much do you mean they should last a lot longer?

The problem with leaving one on for 24 hours is that they have now used the 2 spares I bought for the show, and the show is up and running now....

Its not really financially viable to buy one more + post and packing just to check battery life? (Yes I know I should have looked at this before the show opened...)

I have something in the back of my mind that says they should 100 hours, but have I just made that up???

OK, definitive answer time...

I have one of these on my keyring so armed with an accurate ammeter...

current consumption is 20mA, a CR2016 is rated at 90mA/hr so you will get 4.5hrs from a new set of batteries.

but don't forget that the batteries are replaceable, it's a bit fiddly but it's doable. You need a clean work area and a jewellers screwdriver. Make a note of where the bits go and don't drop the tiny,tiny little bit of plastic (like I did).

OK, definitive answer time...

I have one of these on my keyring so armed with an accurate ammeter...

current consumption is 20mA, a CR2016 is rated at 90mA/hr so you will get 4.5hrs from a new set of batteries.

Fantastic! I'm not sure there's anywhere else on the net that you could find a reliable answer to this question. A Blue Room highlight. Certainly living up to your "Most Helpful Person 2003/4" tag, Brian!

No John, you will not be accused of making a commercial plug. There has never been any objection to people recommending suppliers or manufacturers, unless you have an interest in the company involved.

And here is that link, but clickable.

Wavicle

Thanks Brian and John ............. so will my little micro LED torch last 4.5 hours or 100 hours???

Until John posted I was sure it was 4.5 hours, now I'm slightly confused by John's post.

Quite right James, "most helpful person" is definitely living up to his name!

It's all down to battery capacity. As I noted in my post a CR2016 is rated at 90mAhr where a Duracell AA (MN1500) is rated at 2.85Ahr ie 32 times the capacity or a Duracell D cell a whopping 15Ahr which is 166 times the capacity of the CR2016. So a micro torch would run for 750 hrs which is 1 month non-stop.

This doesn't really solve your problem but as we are on the subject of torches, I bought myself a really cool one the other day..... it takes no batteries and has an LED in it. You just have to shake it up and down for a few minutes and it works for about 5mins. Like I say, doesnt help your situation but it's mighty handy in the theatre!!!

Em

xxx

I bought myself a really cool one the other day.....  it takes no batteries and has an LED in it.  You just have to shake it up and down for a few minutes and it works for about 5mins.

:blink: More details, please!!!

Where from? How much?

I remember seeing a watch of a similar design, powered by the movement of your wrist, I wonder if they could design something similar for mobile phones, although it'd almost certainly be too big and wouldnt produce anywhere near enough current for anything useful.

Tom

Archived