• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I was aware, there aren't any rules as to what you can keep in your personal or general, publically available first aid kit (short of prescription only drugs etc.). The problem is that if you make available drugs that others might have reactions too (and for that matter latex gloves come to mind), there's a very fine line between prescribing and dispensing medication, and if something went wrong then ignoring guidelines would seem rash with hindsight.

As far as I was aware, there aren't any rules as to what you can keep in your personal or general, publically available first aid kit (short of prescription only drugs etc.). The problem is that if you make available drugs that others might have reactions too (and for that matter latex gloves come to mind), there's a very fine line between prescribing and dispensing medication, and if something went wrong then ignoring guidelines would seem rash with hindsight.

Oh, there are definitely rules about what can be kept in the official "first aid at work" kit - i.e. the one provided by the management, which is HSE approved. For instance you are not supposed to have tubes of antiseptic cream - only individually alcohol free antiseptic wipes. You are not supposed to have rolls of sticking plaster. There should be nothing in there that needs to be cut with a pair of scissors. Everything should be individually wrapped, self contained and, once opened, is used once and then thrown away. When I last trained the standard first aid at work kit was basically various wound dressings, triangular bandages, individually wrapped hypoallogenic plasters and antiseptic wipes. On the shows I've worked on we also include individual eye washes (which you are recommended if your place of work warrants it - i.e. dusty theatres), resuscitation face shields and we always have lots of instant cold packs (which are handy for dancers). That's it. Anything more than that is secondary aid. In actual fact, one of the staff at a theatre I've worked at recently said that even the triangular bandages are out of the kit now - but his qualification is more up to date than mine. I'll see when I update mine. As for the aspirin thing: it's a 75mg aspirin for someone with a heart condition (that's 1/4 of a normal sized one). As for glucose tablets: it's a foodstuff and there are no rules governing them.

Having consulted the Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981, there is no mandatory list of contents or 'banned' contents for first aid boxes. The HSE provide a suggested minimum content, but deciding what to include comes down to an assessment of first aid needs. There is therefore no such thing as an 'HSE-approved' first aid kit, despite may being sold as such. In fact, just providing an off-the-shelf kit might indicate that not much thought has gone into designing one for the particular location.

For example, theatres have dusty stages and woodworking workshops so plenty of eyewash should be provided; theatres have lots of hot lanterns so instant icepacks might be sensible.

Also, there is no legal bar to employers making over-the-counter medicines available to employees. The HSE makes no objection to paracetamol or aspirin etc. being made available in the workplace, though you could argue they shouldn't be in the first aid kit as such medications are really outside the scope of first aid. First aiders issuing these tablets should have a reasonable understanding of what is involved, and this risk of litigation should be borne in mind these days.

Having consulted the Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981, there is no mandatory list of contents or 'banned' contents for first aid boxes. The HSE provide a suggested minimum content, but deciding what to include comes down to an assessment of first aid needs. There is therefore no such thing as an 'HSE-approved' first aid kit, despite may being sold as such. In fact, just providing an off-the-shelf kit might indicate that not much thought has gone into designing one for the particular location.

For example, theatres have dusty stages and woodworking workshops so plenty of eyewash should be provided; theatres have lots of hot lanterns so instant icepacks might be sensible.

Also, there is no legal bar to employers making over-the-counter medicines available to employees. The HSE makes no objection to paracetamol or aspirin etc. being made available in the workplace, though you could argue they shouldn't be in the first aid kit as such medications are really outside the scope of first aid. First aiders issuing these tablets should have a reasonable understanding of what is involved, and this risk of litigation should be borne in mind these days.

Perhaps the issue should be looked at from a slightly different perspective:

The 1981 act states that "if it has been identified that 1st aiders are needed in your workplace thay must have gained a certificate of competence from a training organisation that has been approved by HSE."

I trained with British Red Cross, one of the leaders in such training, and an oragnisation which advises the HSE, and their training stipulated absolutely that certain items were not to be included in first aid kits at work. These included tablets and medications and items not packaged individually and designed for one off use (such as tubes of antiseptic cream and rolls of plaster to name just a couple of examples). I am told by colleagues who have trained with St Johns that their training is very similar indeed. Of course additional items are permitted if the venue's needs require. That is the reason for the instant icepacks we get through (mainly for dancers' strains and sprains, not burns from hot lanterns - the only thing I would put on a burn would be a stream of cold water) and the copious eye wash tubes.

The reasoning for individual packaging and one use only items is to prevent the spread of infection from one person to another, or to prevent the risk of contamination introduced, for example, by cutting some plaster with a non sterile pair of scissors.

The main reasoning for tablets and medications not being part of first aid is not only to protect the casualty, but to protect the first aider. The first aider does not know *for certain* what the casualty has already taken and even if they tell you, they are not necssarily telling you with accuracy or honesty.

The 1981 act says "it is unlikely that any [legal] action would be taken against a 1st aider who was using the first aid training they have received." The crucial message here is that you must adhere to your first aid at work *training*. You cannot simply look at the HSE act and think that the sole answer lies there. You must also look at the training being given by the organisations *approved* by HSE. This training is updated almost every year. Every time I retrain I find that aspects have changed - for instance the way CPR is administered has altered every time I've retrained. When I fist trained years ago we were even told to burst blisters with a needle sterilized with a burning match. Times have changed. You and your employer are only legally in the clear if you adhere to the training you have received. Fullstop. I would have failed my exam if I had not followed guidance provided by my trainers.

A further point on the subject of tablets and medications: the 1981 act doesn't simply say that it has no objection to over the counter medicines being provided. It actually says: "HSE guidance states that first aid at work does not include giving tablets and medications to treat illnesses and such items should not be kept in the first aid box. However, strictly speaking, there is no legal bar to employers making such items available to employees *if the assessment of first aid needs* indicates they should be provided". This is precisely why I said in an earlier post that I, as a first aider, do not hand out any drugs to anyone, but that if the company manager chooses to do so then that is their affair. It is up to them to make sure that the assessment of first aid needs includes what they are doing.

So the message to anyone who has not done an HSE approved first aid at work course is this: if you want to know what you are allowed to do from the point of view of first aid, DO A TRAINING COURSE! The HSE guidance works *in conjunction* with approved training courses such as those provided by the Red Cross and St Johns. These are the people who will give you the answers. Do as you have been trained to do and you will be fine. And it's tax deductible, fellow freelancers.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a spare five minutes so here goes...more of a SM/LT/ST/LD kinda school technician

5m tape measure

8m tape measuer

Black GRADE 2 gaffer tape

Black 22mm insulation tape

Red, Yellow, Green, Brown, White 19mm insulation tape

2H, HB pencils

Berol FineLine Pens

Screwfix ergonomic stanley knife

set 3 adjusablt spanners

a never loost it hammer

screwdrivers

allen keys

gel cutters

24V cordless drill

I think that's it...not much when it's on paper - bloody heavy though

The ONLY medication a first aider can 'prescribe' (give) is one aspirin for someone with severe angina/heart attack

David

Balls. And dangerous balls at that. There are medications that can be "administered/prescribed" by non-medics, but the list is not readily available. As far as I know, and my training didn't dwell on this subject, it does not include aspirin, but includes amongst other items, intra-muscular medication for anaphylaxis. This is the "epi-pen" carried by those with acute reaction to nuts, shellfish, wasps etc.

You cannot prescribe "Ventolin". Ie If you come across someone suffering an asthma attack you cannot say, "Here, use my/his puffer", but if they ask to borrow one, that is OK. You did not prescribe.

This is an involved subject, and should not be left to speculation. Get training, it could save a life!

There are medications that can be "administered/prescribed" by non-medics, but the list is not readily available. As far as I know, and my training didn't dwell on this subject, it does not include aspirin, but includes amongst other items, intra-muscular medication for anaphylaxis. This is the "epi-pen" carried by those with acute reaction to nuts, shellfish, wasps etc.

You cannot prescribe "Ventolin". Ie If you come across someone suffering an asthma attack you cannot say, "Here, use my/his puffer", but if they ask to borrow one, that is OK. You did not prescribe.

This is an involved subject, and should not be left to speculation. Get training, it could save a life!

First aid training (and certainly the first aid at work training I have always undertaken) has no problem with you assisting a casualty in using their own epi-pen or inhaler. This is something which has already been prescribed to them. It's not an issue, therefore. You would never ever administer an epi-pen to someone who hadn't been prescribed one. Adrenalin is a dangerous substance when administered in this way. It's not something you're pulling out of the first aid kit, unless of course you work in some strange place where anaphalactic shock is a common occupational hazard - unlikely even in some of the more unusual touring houses. At most, cast sometimes leave their inhalers etc at the prompt desk for easy access, and yeah they borrow one anothers, but that is it.

First aid at work training says you CAN give someone quarter of an aspirin (or a 75mg one) if they have a heart condition and you suspect they are having a heart attack. This is absolute standard training - unless it has very recently been struck from the syllabus, which I doubt but I will check when I retrain.

As we have already covered in earlier posts, the "list" is not readily available because there is not an actual list. Only guide lines drawn up by HSE, available on line, amongst other place,s which really mean that you have to adhere very strictly to your first aid training. First aid at work covers the aspirin stuff. Apart from that, other that helping the casualty take their own prescribed medicine if they think that is appropriate (and a first aider will know if someone is experiencing anaphalctic shock - it will be obvious and a trained first aider will deal with it) the first aider is well advised to stick to their training and phone 999 or a doctor for any further advice on medications.

• 6 months later...

Something I see scattered around, and often spilling out of an SM's flightcase, which seems to be the best thing to use, get hold of an old second hand one, it'll tour well, and has wheels, and, with a little bit of adjustment (hasp and staple) can be made to lock if it doesn't already.

Back on track...

try getting some instant cold packs, you know, squeeze and they're cold jobs. They must have a use every show I've worked with seems to have them scattered everywhere.

Something I see scattered around, and often spilling out of an SM's flightcase, which seems to be the best thing to use, get hold of an old second hand one, it'll tour well, and has wheels, and, with a little bit of adjustment (hasp and staple) can be made to lock if it doesn't already.

Back on track...

try getting some instant cold packs, you know, squeeze and they're cold jobs.  They must have a use every show I've worked with seems to have them scattered everywhere.

Yes... I dont want to add too much coz everyones said everything so far but this one I strongly agree with... Instant cold packs are great and esp in an emergency.

Also... I use min tins, you know, posh coffee mints.... and I keep them in my trouser pockets and put all the little things that people tend to realise they need 2 sec before they go on or the things u need in emergencies.... Like some bandages and plasters, kerby grips, LX tape, safety pins, a sharpie, dextros energy tablets, some of those tiny pencils u "obtain" from Ikea and Argos.... tres useful...

Also.... Useless not related tip.... always keep an emergency £5 in ur shoe just under the cushion.... Coz you never know.. It could save your life.

Archived