Hi Guys,

I was just wondering (all you SM's) what you put in your Kit (apart from the obvious First Aid Stuff!)

I am making a new Kit for my next show rehearsal period (and it will obviously be used right up to the get out) and wondered if there are any unusual or items you find very helpful to have in your kit.

Also as I will be leaving the Kit in the rehearsal space I want to lock it up so any ideas where I can find a metal box from as well?? Looked for ages on the internet but only found really small ones or toolboxes (which are also to small)

Thanks,

Sam

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B&Q do quite a nice selection of toolboxes.. they do some traditional style metal ones, some of which you can put a padlock on... however I noticed the last time I was in there they do a small flight case STYLE box, it has locks on it I think, they dont look great, so dont leave money or anything in it, but they'd stop people nicking a pen etc I think. theyre quite reasonably priced too...

if your looking to order off the internet, or you dont have a B&Q near you (where the hell do you live then!!!?!?!?! :rolleyes: ) you could try Screwfix, they sell loads of hardware for quite reasonable prices and will usually deliver next day.

now for the contents...

pens, pencils, tip-ex, paper, sellotape, glue etc

sowing kit

gaffa tape, black and white

lx tape

string

screwdrivers, maybe a multi-tool thingy

knife or scisors

spare fuses... always a good idea but your technicians should hvae them

im sure people can think of loads of other stuff too

oh and you might also wanna put plasters and paracetamol etc, although HSE frowns on this at least have them for your own use... thats allowed, just dont GIVE them to anyone

HTH

Tom

oh and you might also wanna put plasters and paracetamol etc, although HSE frowns on this at least have them for your own use... thats allowed, just dont GIVE them to anyone

Not quite. The current advice here is that if someone asks, "Can I have an asprin please?" you can give them one. What you can't do is say, "Oh, you've got a headache, take one of these". That's prescribing, and isn't allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

A tape measure is also a good thing.

Hole re-enforecers

Stop watch

Torch and batteries

Highlighter pen

The only things I can add. The kit always gets personalised depending on what the director starts to demand, wanting a pen, paper, asprin, vodka or a brain.... ;)

also little things like:

safety pins

drawing pins

paper clips

elastic bands

blue tac

post it notes (v useful when working on the prompt I find!)

blank media (CDs & MDs- tend to find are useful if you need to sort music out)

cable ties

lined/plain note pad (for sketches, notes etc...)

wd-40

stapler

other perhaps useful things (probably more for DSM):

mini-dictionary

chalk

I keep my sm kit in a (plastic) stanley tool box (with lots of compartments and a detachable base with wheels), obviously would die if it was touring show but I use mainly in pre-production week to save me having to run around the entire building getting the bits I need.

p.s - if I think of any more I shall add them

I have just got a veryy cool new addition,

t not really something for my Kit just something handy it is a Book Lite. It is a mini thing that clips onto the tops of books and illuminates the page and so I am going to use illuminate the prompt book and my clipboard.

I got it from Homebase and it was only £3.50 so not bad!!

Sam

I always have a door wedge in my kit that doubles as a leg fix for wobbly tables (my pet peeve).

Also a furniture template to draw scene changes.

Breath mints for drunk actors/directors.

Any odd piece of equipment you can think of. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

Although in theory should be provided by the company, some glow (in the dark) tape is also v.useful for the scene changes at the tech.

However, as is more expensive than gold and Production Managers tend to guard it more tightly than the crown jewels, I find a sheet of the stick-on stars & moons does just as well & is much cheaper.

From here

Pens, lots of pens. Pencils.

Notepad, larger pad of paper.

Yellow post-it notes, big & little.

White-out. Highlighter pens. Spirit markers.

Painkillers & plasters (note, giving these to people is a very

bad idea under some legislatures, including US & UK. I allow

people to steal them, but would *never* give them to somebody).

Safety pins. Needle and thread. (For when wardrobe have vanished)

Sellotape, LX tape, Gaffer tape - black and white.

Masking tape for marking up cue-lights.

Paper glue, stapler (good for costumes as well as paperwork...)

Screwdriver. Stanley knife.

Chocolate, for those endless techs.

Stuff to keep actors amused & quiet - this started when I did

kids shows, but is handy for adult actors too - cards, travel games.

Wet wipes. Tissues.

Copies of company contact list, props list, local list of 'phone

numbers (printers, fire marshall, local hospital, places to get

*anything* at short notice).

Maglight or other torch. Dark gel for dimming down working lights.

Glow tape.

Probably overkill - if you have co-operative wardrobe & tech-crew

around they'll deal with the problems and you'll never need half of

this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm sitting here looking at my kit (I'm a DSM, sometimes an SM) which is neatly packed into a plastic box at the moment as I've just finished a long gig. It's a bit depleted but here's whats in it:

hole punch

3 staplers & staples of various sizes

small tape measure

3 pots of tippex

various sellotapes

2 lighters

matches

highlighter tape

Index tabs

post it notes - various colours & sizes

needles & thread

Bostick all purpose glue

Pritt stick

Erasers

hole reinforcements

Sharpies - various colours

Highlghter pens

Soft pencils

loads of biros

pencil sharpeners

emery boards

drawing pins

rubber bands

chalk

safety pins

glow tape

screw eyes

paper clips

scissors

lx tape in yellow, green, orange, blue, brown, black, earth

blue tack

printer cartridges

sticky green dots

glitter glue

vick inhaler

door stop

luggage tags

mic tape

rulers - various

radio controlled clock

stopwatch

large tape measure

large collection of small screw drivers

large collection of allan keys

flat head screw driver

posidrive screw driver

thing for fixing press studs

adjustible spanner

3 paris of pliers

thing for cutting wires

cheap imitation leatherman multi tool thingy

maglite

herbal tea

1 set of cutlery

2 mugs

hand cream

paper soap

1st aid certificate

Don't bother carrying any more of my tools if I'm a DSM (which I ususally am) and to be honest on the gigs I'm on it's advisable to leave carpentry to the carpenters.

Don't carry first aid equipment in my own kit as it's the producer's responsibility to provide an approved first aid kit and accident book for the rehearsal room and the venue - although as a first aider I monitor whether it needs refilling. Personally I don't keep anything which is not HSE approved. If the company manager wants to keep painkillers that's their affair, but as a holder of "1st Aid at work" I'm only protected if I stick to the rules exactly. We've always been told that the most we can do is allow the person in question to go out and buy their own.

We've always been told that the most we can do is allow the person in question to go out and buy their own.

I always thought you were allowed to give someone painkillers but only ones available from shops without a pharmacy and only if they ask for them. Eg if someone asks for 1gram of paracetamol then you can give it to them however if they say the have a headache or ask for painkillers then you can not.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a good idea to advertise the fact you are willing to give them away and neither would I keep them in the first aid kit.

Archived