Followspots HELP PLEASE !!

jack2609

Have you looked into the use of Reiche & Vogel Beamlights as followspots. Can't say whether they were used much in the 80's but I certainly saw them used quite a bit in the 90's! I would imagine that Strand Beamlites have also been used, although I'm not aware of a specific followspot kit for it.

These type of fixtures give a beam which really isn't matched by anything else. If you need examples of them in use, if memory serves me right the R&V's are used as back/side spots on Les Misérables which is a David Hersey design. I'm fairly sure he's used them on other shows as well, and were also the inspiration behind the DLC.

Thank You very much guys, I am amazed at how friendly and helpful you all are on this forum. You have all contributed and helped me.

Special thanks to all those inviting me to come and see the real working units, however I don’t think I need to for my project, as now I know what was used in and around the 1980's I can find images on the web, also through your again helpful links.

If I have anymore questions during this project or again in the future, I will certainly call upon you all again, if you don’t mind, you really have been a valuable asset to me so far.

All the best !

Jack

The Sil also came in 2kW form.

indeed they do,guess what our follow spot is.

Followspotting using a 2k 10deg sil is a very warm job

Top tip.Dont leave them running for 2 hours with 181,the cable were it enters the case gets a bit warm and erm melts

hi,

I would second the comment on the CCT sil's getting warm, we use the Metal Halide version with the 10 degree lens for follow spots. I like them as they have a good light output for a unit that was purcahsed in the early 1980's and they hold there own against the goldenscans we have, also they are relaible bits of kit, nit to heavy to operate as ballast and igniters are all in an external pack.

My first proper paid theatre job was followsot op, using Patt.93 1Ks. The iris was on the top (daft place, I've always thought) and there was a nice flat spot where you rested your hand - on top of asbestos cloth to stop it burning after an hour or so of use. Somewhere, I've still got one - kind of nostalgic.

Archived