Moving lights Truss

Harvey_51

I would like to put some moving lights (mac500s) on top of a vertical peice of truss. would it need to be clamped on and if so how would I do this
Sorry, but No, no, no, no and NO!!

MB is correct - this WAS indeed discussed at great length and the answer was a resounding majority saying that this was NOT a safe idea for many reasons!

OK, it MAY be that there are things that can be done in some circumstances so it would be safe-ish BUT as a student, in what I presume will be in a student environment, I'd say do NOT try this. Especially with a lantern as heavy as a Mac 500.

Search the BR for the previous topic - I suggest that the mods should merge this with that one if necessary.

To clarify, is this what you are trying to achieve?

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v73/112/121/510608270/n510608270_69292_5711.jpg

IMHO, this is perfectly safe, even in a student environment, provided it's planned exactly how the mac is going to get up there.

I think the topic other are referring to was about whether it was safe to strap a mac to the top of a piece of horizontal truss.

To clarify, is this what you are trying to achieve?

<snipped pic>

IMHO, this is perfectly safe, even in a student environment, provided it's planned exactly how the mac is going to get up there.

You may think so, but unless that truss (which looks like a VERY tall piece) is BOLTED to the floor, I wouldn't even consider sticking a moving head on there.

The torque of a moving head - especially when waggling madly to dance music and fast chases involving movement, can VERY easily cause a truss-topple. Even more so when you add the imbalancing extra kit on the sides as shown in your pic.

I don't see why it should be a problem, so long as the truss is correctly fixed at the base, to a suitable base plate or the actual floor. I'm sure nobody would consider just standing the truss upright on the floor.

We used vertical truss holding a large amount of kit, on large diameter metal bases at a festival this year with no problems, as it's how they were designed to be used.

This is common practice and yes it is perfectly safe providing a suitable base plate is used, with additional weights if required. Ratchet strapping as one method of fastening the unit to the top, although we have plates made for our truss which the ML's omega clamps bolt onto, slightly neater approach than a ratchet strap.

Have done this also many times, with VL3000's, which arent the lightest of fixtures, and have even seen it done a few times with CP stage zoom 1200's, which are even heavier!! I have found it perfectly safe aswell if you are using safe practises which many have listed above. Personally, I have ratcheted the truss to another fixed structure, and weighed down on the base plate with a CO2 canister for extra weight! I have found many other lighting companys use this aproach aswell, even in a student situation, aslong as your doing it safely, I dont see why it would make a difference if you were a student or not!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/bungalowjumper/MAC600sontruss.jpg

MACs are ratchet strapped to the top of each bit of truss and they are bolted I think to concrete slabs. Given that they returned to the warehouse undamaged one can only assume that none of the truss fell over...

out of shot at the left end is also a pair of MAC600s similarly rigged.

Archived