Why do manufacturers make the back panel Black??

soundo26

Why is it that most manufacturers of amplifiers, dimmers and all the other kit we use make the back panel Black?

I scrabble around dark stage areas for most of my working life peering inside racks etc. trying with great difficulty to read which input is which or which dip switch settings to make from the back panels of equipment in pitch black conditions, especially if it is the bottom rack with lots of cables plugged in! Yes I do carry a torch to help with this but it would make our lives much easier if the rear panels were more thoughtfully designed, maybe with black text on white backgrounds, the legends above the sockets rather than below, these become obscured when leads are plugged in etc.

Any other suggestions?? Any manufacturers' comments??

Its mainly because the back of the bits of equipment are all part of the rest of the casing. Thus when having to spray to the casing, it would be costly to make the back part of the units a different colour.

If the 'back panels' of equipment was separate from the rest of the unit, then an argument could be made that it would be just as easy to paint them something different to the rest of the casing as it would be do them the same as the rest..

I guess the small argument of, it would show up when it shouldn't would come into this. yes, we expect all these things to be out of the way where you can't see them but sometimes this isn't possible, and there would be nothing worse than a great big UV light spilling down to Stage Right over the backs of racks with white backs.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived