New DIMMABLE compact flourescent lamp

adam2

A new style of dimmable compact flourescent lamp has just been introduced.

These lamps are a direct replacement for a 100 watt GLS lamp, and can be dimmed from 2% to 100% via a standard d0m3stic dimmer.

I presume that they would therefore work just as well on a theatre dimmer, which after all is larger and better made, but not different in principle to a d0m3stic one.

With todays concern regarding the enviroment, and rising energy costs, I believe that these lamps could have many applications in theatres for house lights and lighting in bars, restaurants, foyers etc.

At present they cost £18 each and are available from only one supplier, but I consider it likely that prices will fall, and the range improve.

Switch dimmable low energy lamps that can cycled bettween dim and bright, by turning off and then on again have been around for a while. AFAIK these are the first low energy lamp to work from a standard dimmer.

(should I post the name of the supplier? dont want be accused of advertising, though I have no connection with them)

These lamps are sold retail by RYNESS the electrical retailers throughout central London.

I have not seen them elswhere and suspect that the above have done some sort of deal and may be the only retailer at present.

I have approached several well known trade suppliers without success. I suspect that the WHOLSESALE LIGHTING COMPANY in White Lion street Islington may have them, as I understand that they are part of the same gruop as Ryness.

Yes I believe that the varilight lamps refered to in the previos post are the ones I have seen on retail sale, the price looks more reasonable too.

I have tried two at home and am very impressed, I would be interested to hear of anyones experiences useing them in a commericial setting.

Cheers Brian couple on order as type.

Varilight respected name in wallplate dimmers so would expect their lamps are of decent quality, it must play some tricks internally to get down to 2%, how low do they start up?

low or do they start fairly bright and can then back them down?

Look like might be ideal for the frequent `Im using 1/2K floods for houselights any better ideas?` type questions :-)

and Spiral CFLs can look very attractive with addition of lamp dip or even glass paint as the tube is relatively cool running.

Thanks

<edited, because my spelling was beginning to look like txt>

Hmmm, any chance of 4 foot tube versions in the pipeline...? That would be great :)

From 1stop electrics site

>>>Coming Soon:

In addition to dimmable CFLs, the DigiFlux® range will include fully dimmable ballasts for linear fluorescent lamps (LFLs) that avoid the disadvantages of traditional 1-10V systems by using standard two-wire control not requiring additional control cabling. These too will be available either to be controlled by a dimmer or by a standard light switch and will extend lamp life significantly. A special sequencing version is also planned, designed for illuminated point-of-sale and advertisements. The ballast will cycle the brightness accordingly to a pre-programmed a time sequence.<<<

Cheers Brian couple on order as type.

Varilight respected name in wallplate dimmers so would expect their lamps are of decent quality, it must play some tricks internally to get down to 2%, how low do they start up?

low or do they start fairly bright and can then back them down?

Look like might be ideal for the frequent `I'm using 1/2K floods for houselights any better ideas?` type questions :-)

and Spiral CFLs can look very attractive with addition of lamp dip or even glass paint as the tube is relatively cool running.

Thanks

These lamps will start at the minimum setting setting, no need to turn up higher to start.

At minimum they take a second or two to start, on full they start almost instantly.

This is swiftly becoming a major concern of mine, at present my house lighting takes the form of rows of 'golfball' 60W bayonet cap domestic bulbs on a dimmer. Similar to what you'd expect to see around a make-up mirror. The system uses about 100 of these (although I estimate each bulb only runs at about 40W when at max). Obviously when the ban on the manufacture of traditional bulbs come in, this is going to render my system a bit obsolete unless I can suorce a low wattage equivalent. It has to be dimmable, and aestheticly simple as the golfball style. My worry is that most fluro low watt bulbs seem to take on the corkscrew appearance of a glassblowers nightmare. Anyone seen any golfball style fluro units? dimmable would be good too.

AFAIK the only dimmable compact flourescent lamps are the relativly large, 20 watt spiral lamps by varilight, reffered to above.

However now that the technology has proved, I consider it likely that other types of dimmable CFL, including golfball ones will be available in the near future.

Non dimmable golfball compact flourescents are readily available.

P.S. I dont quite understand your statment that the present lighting uses "60 watt lamps, but they only run at 40 watts when at max"

AFAIK the only dimmable compact flourescent lamps are the relativly large, 20 watt spiral lamps by varilight, reffered to above.

However now that the technology has proved, I consider it likely that other types of dimmable CFL, including golfball ones will be available in the near future.

Non dimmable golfball compact flourescents are readily available.

P.S. I dont quite understand your statment that the present lighting uses "60 watt lamps, but they only run at 40 watts when at max"

Just that I'm not convinced by their output really, the dimmer needs a good servicing to hoover all the cat hairs out of it.

Archived