Projecting a rainbow for wizard of oz

rfears

We're a small village am-dram, doing Wizard of Oz this Christmas.

Just before the "Somewhere, over the rainbow..." bit we need to make a rainbow appear on stage. At this point there will be a blue sky flat "cyc" at the back of the stage. Is there some lighting effect that can project a rainbow (doesn't need to be curved but would be nice) onto the "cyc" - or do I need to start playing with prisms and point sources?

The suggested alternatives such as pulling up a bit of suitably coloured cloth, MDF or similar strike me as not very pleasing. I guess there may be suitably coloured glass gobos out there but I'm not sure we could afford them...

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Rick

--

LD, Whitwell Players, Herts, UK

How Much Money do ou have to work with here?

Depending on the Amount, you can have at least 2 different solutions (maby more that I dont know of).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but:

1. Use A profile and get A Rainbow printed on to Overhead Transparency Sheets
  2. Use A projector with A Laptop and A Rainbow Image

It depends on your budget really. For the production of 'The Wiz' that I lit in the summer we used front projection to project all our scenery/backdrops, and it was really effective. On the downside, the projector probably took up the best part of our lighting budget. Was well worth it in the end though.

Link to rubbishy photo

(Note that I'm not a photographer, nor do I have a decent camera. It looked better on the night, trust me :rolleyes: )

How Much Money do ou have to work with here?

Depending on the Amount, you can have at least 2 different solutions (maby more that I dont know of).

Money = as little as possible (always :rolleyes: ) but as much as it takes if it works

w.r.t. your suggestions, I'm actually trying to avoid a full frontal projection if I can - I'd rather use something from the side so the image is sharp at the top and "naturally" fades into the sky towards the bottom behind the actors (no pot of gold in this rainbow...)

Mind you you have reminded me of OHP foil in profiles - I've used this in the past with reasonable success so thanks, will bear it in mind.

Rick.

(p.s. sorry if I haven't quoted stuff correctly, this is my first post here)

All suggestions gratefully received.

Have done this on a small stage using Linnebach projection. As this requires a bright light in box a PATT 45 minus the lens was ideal on the stage I did this on.

Procedure was to make a replacement Color frame as a sheet of metal that had a rainbow shape cut out. (Kitchen foil was used for the try outs). Then used off cuts of colour filter, but only used 3 of the colours I.e Red - Yellow & Green cut to fit opening but not overlapping to form rainbow. This was hung at suitable distance from cyc to form rainbow.

This was a small stage and the lighting was such it was easy to keep it off the area lit to stop it "washing out". However you may be able to scale it up.

3) 35mm slide projector +suitable slide

4) 7 profiles suitable coloured and focused/shuttered

Yep, 7 profiles and 17 man hours to focus...

Seriously, I don't think any kind of affordable projector is going to have enough to get through the specific cyc lighting (even though I plan to dim at least some areas of it) or the general spatter from acting lights (we're a village hall, the apron is bright and reflective even after we painted it Rosco some years back...); also I would really like this rainbow to come through from the side rather than the front.

Thanks for your reply

Rick.

There is a topic somewhere about this. I used a bank of 7 coda's (2x3 cell and a single) looked quite good. I was considering a rainbow gobo but it would of just washed out.
Codas? They are too wide for a 7 off wash across our cyc, we'd end up with mud, I suspect. Would love to see it in action thoughCheersRick
It depends on your budget really. For the production of 'The Wiz' that I lit in the summer we used front projection to project all our scenery/backdrops, and it was really effective. On the downside, the projector probably took up the best part of our lighting budget. Was well worth it in the end though.Link to rubbishy photo(Note that I'm not a photographer, nor do I have a decent camera. It looked better on the night, trust me :rolleyes: )
I'm trying to avoid front projection if at all possible - we've done similar in the past and have never been able to afford decent projectors so it's never looked good. We have a small stock of profiles (2 SILs, 4 Preludes, 1 Source 4 Jnr) and an ace gobo cutter (made a "face in the mirror" gobo out of a sheet of brass that worked first time!) so using profiles is an option except how to get colours in?Thanks for the suggestion anyway.Rick

except how to get colours in?Thanks for the suggestion anyway.Rick

Gel.

Or collect one of these images and print it on acetate. Fit it in the colour frame and project a suitable gobo image through it.

That is What I suggested Here

Number 1

Uh use photocopy sheets not ohp, they have a higher temp use a ohp in the photocopier and you will have to get a new one.

Also I have only tried the acetate with pacific's so I cant comment on their reaction in a "hotter" light.

ps I would get a picture but I only have it on vhs (somewhere) and its a pretty bad picture at that.

You could always go for lil 150w garden lights clip on some gells and fire them up and would be just over 1k if you are looking at power as well.

Instead of printing on OHP film, you may be better off making a split gel. Just cut seven strips of gel, and use clear tape to join them. If you are feeling really adventurous, cut the strips on the diagonal (or create an oversized gel, and cut the corners off to make a diamond) - and if you are REALLY adventurous, use varous round objects to cut out a 'rainbow', then you can even do away with the gobo.

Archived