Shure 55S Mic

Spock

Be careful with ribbon mics...
What won't work:

Microphones with...

Thanks for that. The connector has three pins like an XLR but spaced differently, numbered 1,2 and 3 with an external screw thread. Nothing that looks like a center pin. I am slightly confused regarding phantom power. I wasnt intending to use it as I didnt think these mics required it, am I wrong? do these mics need or can they make use of phantom power? if so what is the difference does it make to the output. Or is it the case that they dont need or use it but can cope if it is present when they are wired correctly.

No - he doesn't mean centre pin, but is talking about the electrical centre tap on a transformer that normally goes to ground. As I mentioned, it is virtually certain that you have the dual impedance version, so both high and low Z are available on the connector socket - the lead selected which output you had. To connect an XLR then you will have to link pin 3 to pin 1, unbalancing it, then use just one core to connect to the mike socket. One pin will be connected to the case - test with a meter - this is ground and XLR pin 1 on your mixer. Pin 2 will go to one of the other two. On one it will work 'normally' on the other the sound will be louder and probably 'thinner' and weedy sounding, possibly also being a bit distorted if your mixer is finicky. Don't apply phantom,as your balanced to unbalanced cable will short half the 48V rail down to ground. Good design mixers may not mind - poorer designs could object in unpleasant ways. Make the lead up and try it. Whwn you find the correct combination, you can then bodge a connector. A real bodge would be to break out some XLR pins from an old plug, solder them onto the cable ends and then poke them in the holes. Then protect the mic end with cling film,and then araldite them up with the proper spacing. When it has gone off, you can remove it and paint it black. It won't screw in, but it will work.

Last thing - prepare to be disappointed. 55's had a pretty dull and lifeless sound, not much at all top and bottom.

paul

Hi, thanks that has cleared things up a bit for me. The mic isnt a sure 55. It is an Amperite SR80. Various collector sites on the net seem to give good reports about it so I am keen to give it a try but I am prepared to be disapointed.

:wub: - Needless quoting of entire previous post removed (twice). Please use quotes only to respond specific points.

• 2 months later...

1- Make a note of the pinout of the cable, with a meter.

2- Cut cable in half. Add to your pinout chart the cable colours.

3- Unsolder Amphenol connector. Confirm which pins are connected to which colour.

4- Prep XLR lead (remove female connector)

5- Solder XLR lead to Amphenol connector with correct wiring.

Easy enough?

While the DIY aspect may be satisfying the Shure 55SH is a current retail product with an inbuilt XLR connector. Can you buy the switch/standmount/XLRsocket part from a Shure supplier as a spare part and retro-fit it to the old mic. Or buy the new mic.

Archived