Woking Theatre

Hanxxx

It would seem from their website to be part of the Ambassadors group.

Their corporate sponsorship list included several individuals and companies as well as Woking Council but there is no mention anywhere of the Regional Arts Council so I guess they are not funded by them.

Why do you want to know?

Well that's a bit snooty of them. You could try approaching Ambassadors direct and see if you get more joy that way. I'm a bit surprised they can't spare half an hour to have a chat with you.

Is it the New Vic in particular you have to do the assignment on? Maybe some other venue (an Arts Council funded one) would be more helpful.

I think generally that the theatres are owned by the local council and operated by a professional management company. Clear Channel Entertainment are another company to operate like this.

The council is responsible for the up keep of the building and sometimes the equipment and the management deal with staffing, programming and other related issues. So some money would come from the council, some from the company.

I think generally that the theatres are owned by the local council and operated by a professional management company.

This may often be the case but I think with Ambassadors Theatre Group (ATG) they actually own the theatres themselves. This is certainly the case with Brighton Theatre Royal.

The fact that the website for the New Vic makes only a passing mention of Woking council would also suggest that they are not heavily involved. But I could be wrong.

New Victoria Theatre

Peacocks Centre, Woking GU21 1GQ.

The £8 million state-of-the-art New Victoria Theatre is the flagship of The Ambassadors Centre in Woking which is owned and operated by The Ambassador Theatre Group.

It was opened in June 1992, seats 1,330 and is capable of staging the largest productions on the road: offering top quality drama, Shakespeare, comedy, musicals, concerts, touring opera and ballet, the best pre- and post-West End shows, and a lavish pantomime.

The Ambassadors also includes the refurbished 230-seat Rhoda McGaw Theatre which caters for Woking's community groups and sociaties, The Peacocks Multiplex Cinemas, a three-screen, 1,000-seater complex and parking, which is free after 6pm, for over 2,500 cars.

Archived