Wheelchair access to stage

Johnno

We've a guest speaker coming in next week who needs wheel chair access to the stage. There's no ramp fitted. If we do fit one it will run half the length of the hall. Has anyone had the same problem? If so what did you do?

If we do fit one it will run half the length of the hall.

Why does it have to run perpendicular to the stage? Why not build something that runs parallel? Even if it has to have a 180-degree turn halfway up because the stage is really high, it'll still only intrude into the auditorium by twice the width of the ramp.

Ours has a choice of 90-degree or 180-degree turns (depending on how we build it). What we usually do is build a slightly smaller stage than usual (YMMV) and the ramp runs from the upstage left corner, to the upstage right corner, turns 90 degrees and then comes down stage right to enter stage downstage right. That's in an open "hall" type space which I assume you have?

Basically, if it doesn't fit, fold it!

I had this problem at a previous venue and was hit with a great deal of emotional blackmail. Essentially if you use a ramp it must be at least 1/12 to meet safety standards. At the end of the day, if you can't get them safely on stage then you can't, sounds harsh but that's the way it is.

At the end of the day, if you can't get them safely on stage then you can't, sounds harsh but that's the way it is.

DDA calls for "reasonable adjustments" (inlcuding physical alterations). I'm not sure if you want to call this emotional blackmail, but the law seems to be fairly clear. If the "reasonable adjustment" was a lower dais in front of the stage which could be lit, and which was still visible to all, that might be considered appropriate. However, many venues have some form of wheelchair lift. This adjustment may well be taken as 'normal industry practice' should such a case ever go to court.

Simon

In my day job I work for a performing arts centre for young disabled adults. We take a number of productions to different venues, from village halls to large theatres and conference venues. (quick plug The Orpheus Centre)

In my job as Technical Manager I visit each venue beforehand to check out things like wheelchair access to stage, emergency exits as well as how I plug my kit in etc. One of the main problems that we face is how to get wheelchair users onto the stage, we take between 2 and 20 wheelchair users to these performances and usually get around most problems. There has only been once where we have had to turn down a performance due to lack of access to the stage.

We have used the Bentley Fielden Mobilift in the past to access a stage via a scene dock, it works fairly well and is available for hire.

Things of particular note to address: Fire procedure and exits, cables running over a stage, space on stage to turn wheelchairs around, toilets and access to toilets, door/lift widths, ramp gradients, kerbs from the road. Risk assessment is the key to enabling disabled people to access the facilities.

If building ramps parallel to the stage with turns, it is worth noting that some chairs need a fair bit of space to turn around.

If anyone would like to see any of our specification of what we require from venues when we perform, please pm me. Also, if anyone has any questions for me, also pm me.

Anyone that is interested, take a look at the Social Model of Disability. Basically this says that people are not disabled by their impairments, rather that society in general disables people by restricting their access to facilities, services, support, information etc. We should enable people with impairments rather than disabling them.

Why does it have to run perpendicular to the stage? Why not build something that runs parallel? Even if it has to have a 180-degree turn halfway up because the stage is really high, it'll still only intrude into the auditorium by twice the width of the ramp.

Indeed, When we have a substantial need for disabled access to the stage, we have a ramp that goes along the width of the stage and back again. Otherwise, if it's just one person, then we have a wheelchair lift.

I was involved (sound) with a show a couple of years ago where the main attraction was wheelchair bound. No level access to the stage and (I believe) the second steepest rake in the country... Somebody didn't do their homework.

Anyway, in consultation with the perfomer (who was doing the entire 2nd act) it was agreed to simply lift him (chair and all) on to stage during the interval after the audience had been cleared out. Performer was happy with it; there weren't really any alternatives in this instance.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that the organisers even had proir notice that he was in a wheelchair, so forward planning wasn't available.

Thanks for your replies.

We checked on the hire cost of the lift and it was £204 for the night. The school's management said "No way!" or words to that effect.

Someone came to see about fitting a ramp but our site manager was not happy with what he proposed so I don't know what will happen there. It can't run across the stage as we have the auxiliary stage out on that evening and there's to be a gymnastics display all round it.

Apparently the lady herself has said that she would be quite willing to wriggle herself up the stairs onto the stage. We don't fancy that solution either.

From the flap that's on I don't think this has happened at our school before so it will be interesting to see how it's solved. The event's an awards evening.

we have the auxiliary stage out on that evening and there's to be a gymnastics display all round it.

That sounds to me as though an area on the hall floor, around the "auxiliary" (which I'm guessing means 'thrust') stage, is goiing to be used as part of the performance space, and therefore presumably will be lit as such. Couldn't the lady concerned use that area from which to give her speech?

If said speaker has some mobility, the the ambulance solution is to transfer the patient to a carry chair (sometimes called a middlesex chair) lift the patient up and the wheel chair separately then re-transfer the patirnt to their wheelchair. Typically two people would lift a patient up to 14stone and four people for a heavier patient. The transfer may not be decorous according to the patient's condition, best done in the wings rather than in full view.http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.p...660cb69eb299941Borrow one from local st John or other ambulance people.
.....Basically this says that people are not disabled by their impairments, rather that society in general disables people by ....
My triple amputee friend would disagree strongly! He has only one arm, controls a powered wheelchair wonderfully well but cannot do many things he was used to do, even though he gets LOTS of aid and aids.

... from my personal Knowledge of the stage - wing access can only be acheived from FOH, or up a narrow flight of stairs from the gymnasium! ;)

Not a nice one

Peter C

Hi Peter.

Quite correct. Whatever we do will be in full view of the audience. The back stairs are too narrow for any kind of manhandling.

Jivemaster PMed a suggestion of using a carry chair. We have some evac chairs, maybe one of those will do. Trouble is I don't think anyone has been trained on how to use them. I'll check on that tomorrow.

DO NOT use a wheelchair for lifting a patient. There are too many removeable parts and too many folding parts for the safety of the lifters and lifted. Get your first aiders trained! StJohn will do it for you, and your local statutory ambulance service may do. With a carry chair NEVER leave the top unsupported as they are so finely balanced on their wheels that they tip over (backwards)

If you cannot do that, then a short step ramp with 6 - 9 inch risers every 4feet may be possible from stage blocks, then one person can be lifted in a manual wchair easily by one normally robust adul

Archived