Flight case Foam

niall

evenin' all,

I bought a couple of those flightcases with foams from Maplin the other day and I set about carving the foam in order to store my laptop in. The charger cut-out was fine, since the case is only just taller than the charger on its end (Macbook charger), so I cut straight through, but when it came to the actual computer, I strugled to get a nice flat(ish) surface. What are peoples' techniques for cutting these types of cases?

There's another thread around here somewhere that suggests using either a hotwire cutter, a bread knife or an electric knife.

Another trick is rather than using a thick "block" of foam, use several thinner sheets glued together - do the cutouts before glueing - and so the base of the cutouts will be a flat face.

I assume from your comments you are digging the indents out of a solid block of foam? If I'm foam lining cases I use the stuff in 12mm, 25mm and 50mm thick sheets, and build it up in layers. Just take the foam block out of your case and check it isn't made up in layers, it may be.

What I've done in the past is to remove the entire area of the cut-out in one lump, then cut it to the thickness required with either a craft/hot/bread knife. Then put it back in upside down so you've got the roughly cut bit at the bottom and a nice even surface on which to put your laptop. For extra security you can then glue the lump back in using either hot melt glue (iffy and can be messy) or better use copydex. put a thin layer on both pieces, allow them to dry then they'll work like a contact adhesive and job's a good-un.

or you can go out and buy foam or other packing material of choice and make it up in layers as described above.

• 3 weeks later...
sheets glued together
glue the lump back in using either hot melt glue (iffy and can be messy) or better use copydex. put a thin layer on both pieces, allow them to dry then they'll work like a contact adhesive and job's a good-un.
A small amount of thread resurrection for a related query. Is Copydex also the best bet for gluing foam to foam, used in the way described by PeterT? Or do people have other/better suggestions?

• 2 years later...

Archived