Balanced 'Y' cables... how to.

Josh 2

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, so if anyone knows a search keyword or topic I'd be grateful… my searches are finding everything but!!!

The answers I'm looking for is about interconnect cables and also routing.

I thought I knew how to make up a 'Y' send/return/insert cable, but I've become confused. I was happily preparing to make (or buy) these with TRS jacks for the mixer end, split into two TS jacks for the outboard units. I then looked at the manuals for the outboards and it say's they have 'balanced' (TRS) in/out jacks. Am I going mad, but to my thinking how do you wire two TRS jacks Y'ed down to a single TRS jack… wouldn't it mean I am a wire/connection short at the single TRS jack!?

Another ? I'm searching for… 'if' I daisy chain multiple outboard units together, is there a preference as to the order they're in eg… EQ -> Comp -> Gate or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for any help or pointers to the info.

Josh.

The cables you mention wouldn't be balanced if you're using mono jacks there. Anyway... both sleeves are connected together on the stereo jack side.

Also try http://www.soundcraft.co.uk/palz.asp and look down for Wiring Guides. Most common stuff is on there.

HTH

Adam

EDIT: Re-read the post. Just use TS(mono) ends on the outboard side and link the two sleeves at the mixer end. They'll be fine for short runs.

Generally speaking a balanced input SHOULD be capable of accepting an unbalanced input. With all of the outboard gear I know of, this is the case, so a standard insert lead will be fine. its not until you get to the larger desks where you will find separate send and returns which will almost always be balanced. These are commonly on TRS Jacks but sometimes XLR.

Rob

The combined end of a balanced Y lead needs 5 pins so must be an XLR or sim.

Do any desks use five pin XLRs for inserts? Don't think I've ever come across that. Besides - it's asking for trouble as the lampies will try to plug their buckets in there in the hopes of getting sound-to-light... :)

sliding slightly OT. But related to insert points, I always find that this list comes in handy.

It's a useful resource, but personally I would have linked to the original source http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml rather than a copy. Especially since the original has a contact address and a request

Help me keep this list up to date! Email me with any new info you have on old or new live mixing boards.
which appears to have been omitted from the copy.

Hey

If they're TRS jack inserts then the insert output isn't balanced anyway, so no need to worry about balancing it.

Anyhow, you asked about effect order:

I tend to put EQ before compressor on the basis that the compressor/limiter can then protect from any boosts I've made. The only problem with this is that you need to be careful not to over EQ or else the compressor could effectively "undo" the changes you've made or start to "pump" the sound (not desireable).

It really depends on the sort of effect that wish to achieve.

For example, for loud and screamy rock/metal vocals, then EQ before the compressor to stop any big peaks coming through too loudly. Or for a snare drum that you want to "shape" the sound of with a compressor (Eg, sharp attack then quick decay - slowish attack time and longish release time) and need an EQ to get the sound right, then try EQ post-compression.

This is what I would do, but try things and see how you think they sound.

HTH

Chris

Archived