Ideas for "Tapers"

oakwarden

For a forthcoming production of "The Pyjama Game", what I hear you all asking!

In one scene, the idea is that a group of the players are in a cave and the script calls for "Tapers", which are refered to as large matches to be used. There are 10 of them required and they need to be switched on and off by the cast.

The first idea - is to use a battery operated candle type arrangment. But I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to make this more effective :)

I wouldn't go down the route of real candles as this can be a pain to get passed off especially if they are hand held. It's easier if they are static in a suitable container or surrounded with sand etc.

Those battery operated flickering candles can actually look quite realistic, particularly if you have several on stage at the same time. This is probably your best bet if the cast have to switch them on and off.

• 1 year later...
Guest lightnix

AFAIK, the "tapers" they refer are long and very thin wax candles, often used in churches to light the candles on the altar.

There's not much to them, they're really little more than a stout wick dipped in wax a couple of times and are no more than ¼" (6mm) in diameter, probably even thinner.

Could be tricky to simulate :P

What about the head and timer bit from a flicker candle removed, the "flame" placed on the end or a straw at 90/45/0 degrees to ground. With the wires run back to the hand and in to a little box, which also has the "timer".

Possibly not what is required in this situation, but aren't those things you get with fireworks to light them (or at least used to) also called tapers? Those things that are basically long-ish pieces of slow burning 'string', that just smoulder and glow more like a cigarette than a candle.

Whatever they actually are, what is the effect you are trying to achieve with them? 10 little glowing things in a blackout, or enough light to see the actor's faces by? And also, where does it mention tapers, if its only in the stage directions then you have far more flexibility.

AFAIK, the "tapers" they refer are long and very thin wax candles, often used in churches to light the candles on the altar. 

There's not much to them, they're really little more than a stout wick dipped in wax a couple of times and are no more than ¼" (6mm) in diameter, probably even thinner.

Could be tricky to simulate :P

Exactly right. I'm using the real thing on stage at the moment without any problems (other than draughts blowing them out).

• 2 weeks later...
Tapers are just the name of a thin wick that was long enough and slow burning to light several candles (history lessons can be useful sometimes :stagecrew:) You could try slow burning fuse cord, which is what the guys who did the fireworks at my last school used. Only problem with fuse cord is that you have to let it burn out, possibly not what you were after.

Brain engage time guys.

Can't really see the point of a load of people trudging around in a cave trying to use the glowing end of a firelighter to see where they're going.

The box of long thin candles is the only thing that makes sense here. Sure, the glowing gizmo's may also be called tapers, but Lightnix and the kid are on the ball here.

Depends, fast to medium burn cord does, slow and very slow just burn hot and glow at the tip (the cheap stuff might spark...)

Yeah, I think those candles look good, try them because even an actor/actress can understand a candle (right?)

Archived