Vivid V1 Fogger (3000 Cubic Feet Per Min)??

LordAJ

Hi

I was on the maplin elcectrical website and I noticed this 3000 cubic feet per minute. This seems very high on somthing costing £39.99

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have this machine and does it live up to the claim, and are they reliable?

Well, whilst I've never owned/seen/used one of these I'll make some pretty broad brush-stroke assumptions...

Reliable - debatable. Budget machines like this are very often almost throw-away items - they break, you throw it away and buy another one - cos it is DEFINITELY going to be cheaper than a repair!

Build quality - I'm always suspicious of anything that comes in a moulded plastic case like this one.

Can it produce 3000 cu ft per minute..? Whilst I wouldn't go as far as sayying no way, that equates to approx 300 to 350 cu metres. Now look at a pro machine of the same size heater element - the Jem Magnum 800 which has a 750w heat exch, delivering a 200 cu metre output per min.... And that machine will do that FOR a minute and more. I suspect a cheap & cheerful disco unit to do far less and for nowhere near as long on a constant output...

I will almost guarantee as well that it will NOT necessarily give you smoke on demand every time, especially if using it a lot. Cheap machines don't hold their temperature in the same way as pro machines do, thus it can be it & miss when you press the button....

Oh - and it has just it's own integral control with only 3m of cable... NO DMX.

If this is for a disco, then fine - give it a go.

But for any serious theatre work, give it a huge miss!

Can it produce 3000 cu ft per minute..? ... that equates to approx 300 to 350 cu metres.

Are you sure? I reckon there's around 36 cubic feet in one cubic metre (3.3 x 3.3 x 3.3), giving a conversion of around 83 cubic metres per minute. Which is probably more realistic for a machine like that ;)

Can it produce 3000 cu ft per minute..? ... that equates to approx 300 to 350 cu metres.
Are you sure? I reckon there's around 36 cubic feet in one cubic metre (3.3 x 3.3 x 3.3), giving a conversion of around 83 cubic metres per minute. Which is probably more realistic for a machine like that :P
Doh...! <slaps forehead in disgust!>

Suffered from 'quick-calc' syndrome!! :S

You're quite right, which makes the 3000 cu ft much more plausible (and probably why they quoted it in that unit not the usual metre cubed...! ;)

They're actually OK as far as cheap smoke machines go. The case is tough enough and all the components are fairly well mounted, the only real problem with durability is the controller but you get that even with some "pro" models. Can't remember how long it outputs for before it needs to reheat but I don't remember it being too short a period.

The (only!) good thing about Maplins is that they're everywhere, it might be worth calling in and having a look/feel of one before you make up your mind.

Output figures don't really mean much, every manufacturer uses a slightly different system and some just seem to make them up on the spot. It's worse than the whole subject of light output and LED fixtures...

While it may issue its rated output, it may NOT do that continuously! Cheap smokers use a bi-metalic temperature control and have a heat/cool cycle. only during the cooling phase do they issue smoke. This makes them less than ideal for stage use as there are times when they wil not smoke on cue.

Guest Super-Show-Lighting
Hi

I was on the maplin elcectrical website and I noticed this 3000 cubic feet per minute. This seems very high on somthing costing £39.99

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have this machine and does it live up to the claim, and are they reliable?

hi there I used to work for maplins and the vivid hazer has got a pcb with sensor for the heater block there is no ceramic thermo switch like most cheap ones , as for the area that it covers , it is a useless unit and doesn't cover very well , not even worth buying for a small room , if u want something cheap Ur prob better buying a very cheap smoke machine and putting a cheap room fan behind it , hope this is off us ta Joe

Moderation: Joe - that's useful info, but the "house rules" say use capital letters and full stops where appropriate, and no txt speak. This is a technical forum, where accurate communication is essential. See here for more info.

Hey we got one of them,there not to bad,little bit noisy but for £30 (was on offer) what do you expect.The biggest problem is the remote is on a 1/4 jack so it can be accidently pulled out.We end to use it more for "haze"type effects, in a 16x12x8 meter space its suprisngly effective.Heats up fairly quick and runs for about 30 seconds continues before it needs to re heat,which dosnt take too long

Archived