Software to Equalize levels on backing tracks?

rinkydinkron

Is there any software available to help you equalize levels on backing tracks?

All the volume levels are totally different on our mini discs and it is a total pain in the but as I have to constantly adjust the levels from track to track when we are gigging.

If you buy the full version of Real-Player off the internet, I am sure that you can burn off a disc and make 'levels the same across the disc'. I would check it out. Although this would mean putting all your music onto the computer and burining them off again.

Is there any software available to help you equalize levels on backing tracks?

All the volume levels are totally different on our mini discs and it is a total pain in the but as I have to constantly adjust the levels from track to track when we are gigging.

There is nothing that will do it automatically quite as well as someone just listening and adjusting the gain manually. Normalising can't differentiate between tracks that have already been heavily limited and tracks that have a wide dynamic range. Compression or limiting will help tame the dynamic range if it is too wide but shouldn't be used if it isn't needed.

The other problem is that the tracks on MD are already data compressed so the sound will be degraded slightly if you send them to a computer to match the levels so the scale factor adjustment looks like a good idea in this case. Can you get hold of the original source material?

Cheers

James.

If you buy the full version of Real-Player off the internet, I am sure that you can burn off a disc and make 'levels the same across the disc'. I would check it out. Although this would mean putting all your music onto the computer and burining them off again.

ITunes does this and it's free! It determines song volumes and can be set to play back at the same level, it can then also use this information to burn CDs at the same level.

None of them work that brilliantly, primarily because of the varying levels of compression (audio, not data) used in producing the records. All the computers can do is either compare peak levels or average levels and decide based on that - and neither approach is that good. This is the type of job that Humans still do better than software. (For now!)

Archived