Running a Laptop Alongside Mixing Desk

Dan (now in stereo)

Does anyone know of a program which I can use to run my wav./mp3. audio from a laptop in a cued format. I really like this simple program http://www.showpromidi.com/index.htm which does what I want and little more, despite it's retro look, however it's about £50 :D which isn't really an option. Any suggestions?

Sorry, but what is wrong with paying for software?

Someone has spent the time and effort to develop a tool for you so surely they deserve some remuneration for this service?

I don't see anything wrong in trying something out before you buy (that's what demos are for) but once you start using it in the real world you need to pay for it. Sure, there are some free offerings as described above but these are often limited in their functionality and lack the support and ongoing development of paid software.

I realise you are a student, Dan, but I get really annoyed with people expecting to get stuff for nothing and £50 is not exactly a huge amount of money in today's world. I wouldn't do a job in this business for no fee (with a few minor exceptions). Likewise, if I want a tool to do a job (software or otherwise) I expect to pay for it. Doing so encourages people to keep making new tools and software.

Sorry, but this always gets my back up.

Rant over.

Steve

Sorry, but what is wrong with paying for software?

Someone has spent the time and effort to develop a tool for you so surely they deserve some remuneration for this service?

I don't see anything wrong in trying something out before you buy (that's what demos are for) but once you start using it in the real world you need to pay for it. Sure, there are some free offerings as described above but these are often limited in their functionality and lack the support and ongoing development of paid software.

I realise you are a student, Dan, but I get really annoyed with people expecting to get stuff for nothing and £50 is not exactly a huge amount of money in today's world. I wouldn't do a job in this business for no fee (with a few minor exceptions). Likewise, if I want a tool to do a job (software or otherwise) I expect to pay for it. Doing so encourages people to keep making new tools and software.

Sorry, but this always gets my back up.

Rant over.

Steve

Sorry Steve, but I think you're missing the point here.

Dan didn't say he believed he shouldn't have to pay for the software, he just said it wasn't an option.

And some people do write software for free, it's called Freeware.

So he was merely enquiring if there was anything out there that was freeware, I see no mention of expecting customer support etc.

Mike

Hi,

If Dan contacts me and explains what he is wanting to use the software for I maybe able to help sort something out, if it is in reason and provide CSMD for him!

If you are interested Dan please dont hessitate to contact me.

Regards

James

I'm simply 'pondering' the idea of using a piece software, so I want something free to see if it really is worth it, then I'll buy the best one going :D everyones happy

On a slightly different note, here's my suggestions for doing your own pre/post audio stuff.

Get your audio together in one place

a portable hard drive, with all you music on in wav. flac. or mp3. (personal preference) make sure you get all you can cram everything, on you never know when you might need it.

(more free stuff sorry) this website it brilliant http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php just make an account and your away, however to repent your sins you should uploads some of your own sound effects too.

Convert any audio you buy, find, get given, download or obtain into wav. flac. or mp3. simply because pretty much everything plays , edits, reads or copies these files :(

I use a little program called switch (there's even a free demo but I recommend you buy the full package... for the support in case it crashes) http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

Edit your audio for each job so you don't have to cut it short yourself (no more tacky fades)

Again I would strongly recommend you splash out the cash for something really decent but Audactiy is a really good piece of free ware for any fellow amateurs

got any better pieces of software, please let me know

Dan

I'm simply 'pondering' the idea of using a piece software, so I want something free to see if it really is worth it, then I'll buy the best one going :) everyones happy

The trouble is, the definition of what is the best is debatable. nine out of ten sound designers asked preferred SFX (*), and playing with any of the other items in the list wont get closer than a flavour, and in many cases are diametrically opposite in approach and use to SFX.

(*) Which is, of course, a made up statistic, but almost certainly true.

Archived