CO2 Cannon (Static) Required...

deja

Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum, and I'm hoping I might just find the answers here...

I'm after a CO2 cannon.

It needs to be reasonably large, with the idea being that it is to be used on a club dancefloor, and fired into the crowd.

Very similar to the set-up in Amnesia in Ibiza, if you have ever been, or seen it.

It doesn't need to be as big as the Amnesia version - the club I need it for is 300 capacity, whereas Amnesia is 4000 capacity!

I don't want to settle for a smoke machine - one of the main reasons of wanting a CO2 cannon is the cooling properties that it offers. The club it's for is in Ibiza, so it gets pretty damn hot this time of year, so a CO2 cannon would not only look spectacular, but also have a real advantage in that it will cool the crowd down!

I have seen the moving-head style units, however I need something static - No point paying for DMX moving head control when I don't need it. The moving heads also appeared to be a bit small - not quite the effect I wanted.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If I'm thinking of the right place it's a liquid nitrogen jet at Amnesia, could be wrong though.

Either way a CO2 jet is probably more than sufficient for your needs. Maya have a number of budget models that are well worth a look.

The problem here is that this forum is predominantly a THEATRE based forum.

You may have better luck in a club/dj forum, as the type of gear we are more familiar with is not necessarily in your scope.

The thing is I'm not sure there really is a more suitable forum. Most club forums tend to be filled with people who don't have huge amounts of technical knowledge, will recognise leading brands and buzz words but not really have the knowledge to back up their opinions. DJ forums again tend to be filled with mobile DJs with potentially little knowledge surrounding installations, club work and the technical aspects.

The thing is I'm not sure there really is a more suitable forum. Most club forums tend to be filled with people who don't have huge amounts of technical knowledge, will recognise leading brands and buzz words but not really have the knowledge to back up their opinions. DJ forums again tend to be filled with mobile DJs with potentially little knowledge surrounding installations, club work and the technical aspects.
But is there a good represenation of club techs here.....?

It could be. As long as ventilation isn't poor and you don't use masses of CO2 the rise in CO2 shouldn't be an issue. Firing one in someones face at close range is unpleasant, could potentially cause eye damage and be dangerous if the victim inhaled at the wrong time so positioning is important. With a few "home made" designs they also produced tiny flakes of dry ice which while too small to cause skin damage could be nasty should someone be looking up and get one in their eye.

But is there a good represenation of club techs here.....?

I don't know but I think it's probably a good a place as any. I'm sure at least a few of the regular posters will have experience of CO2 jets, the fact it isn't in clubs doesn't necessarily make it irrelevant.

Being very rock and roll, those CO2 things used to throw out confetti and streamers at the arena and stadium gigs that empty a CO2 bottle in a few seconds, would that be the answer?

So I go looking for an image of something appropriate and whats the first thing google comes up with? The bloody Blue Room and this thread, which isn't quite what a had in mind, too small. But it illustrates the point that BR is becoming a tad authoritative in its field...

I also think that this sort of question has a place here, and this has been talked about before. I think there is a high enough proportion of event to theatre technicians here to warrant questions like this being posted.

edit: by this has been talked about before, I meant the validity of the question! although CO2 jets have come up before as well

The problem here is that this forum is predominantly a THEATRE based forum.

You may have better luck in a club/dj forum, as the type of gear we are more familiar with is not necessarily in your scope.

There are enough event technicians though..... who used to be DJ´s ... its not soley theatrical techs here.

also as for safety.. I can pretty much guarantee that club is outside.. dont even need to look at its name, all you need to know is IBIZA..

its only a few shot hours by boat from me and trust me.... it needs to be open air at night....

Being in IBIZA, surely you can get hold of some of the streamer/confettie (spelling??) cannons that are used in FALLAS in valencia. Check out some of the (rather large) pyro companies around here like vincent caballer etc

even seen small hand fired ones in fallas using a small firework charge that were very well packed and made a huge impact in my town square with just 15 or so!! ie.. find the bigger brother!

others please note, health and safety laws in spain are far more relaxed.. and please note RELAXED not ignored!

(eg pat testing here is not required. but I promise you all the gear/cables in this company are of an equal standard)

Probably sensible to contact the potential suppliers of cryogenic products in or round the intended location. Air Products, BOC, and Cryoservices come to mind in the UK but in Spain, I dont know. Though those companies would know if they have a Spanish trading company.

Beware a product called liquid air. It is liquified nitrogen and oxygen as in air but the nitrogen distils off first leaving you with a jet of liquid/gasifying OXYGEN later in the use of the load, This oxygen enriched area/time is very dangerous as most thing burn in an oxygen atmosphere. Drawing on a cigarette would be like inhaling a gerb.

Beware a product called liquid air. It is liquified nitrogen and oxygen as in air but the nitrogen distils off first leaving you with a jet of liquid/gasifying OXYGEN later in the use of the load, This oxygen enriched area/time is very dangerous as most thing burn in an oxygen atmosphere. Drawing on a cigarette would be like inhaling a gerb.

someone want to email this to the jackass guys??? heheheh

:D:D

All companies suppling liquid air equipment to the entertainment industry that I'm aware of are well aware of this and put measures in place to prevent oxygen enrichment of stored air. In the case of BSTE this is done with the use of Stirling Cryogenics 'Air Lock' system.

Having said that I've never heard of a liquid air installation in anything smaller than about 3000 capacity, the fixed costs are just way to great.

Archived