Opening up an LED Par 56

Mr Steve

Hi,

I have one of those Showtec / Stairville LED Par 56s which is dead. The unit makes a small hum when powered up like my working ones, but this one does not light up under DMX or auto. I want to get inside to have a look around. There are 3 screws on the outside of the unit, and I can see that these are done up with a nut on the inside of the unit (there is a small gap between the shell and the board holding the LEDs). You can't get a spanner / pliers in this gap so I was wondering if there is a way of getting the LED board off to get into the unit?

Anyone with any experience with these units?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

I've been there before - a stairville unit with exactly the same symptoms.

To open it up, you need a small thin spanner, which you push down between the LED panel and the casing to stop that nut spinning. You may have to "squeeze" the can a little to open up the gap.

It's a nyloc nut.

Once the 3 bolts are out, the 2 pcbs (LEDs and the control one behind it) come out.

Reassembly is just as tricky - I found the easiest way to do it was to line up all the boltholes, then pad the spanner jaws with a little gaff tape, so that the nut didn't fall out of the jaws, then carefully slide the spanner+nut thru the gap.

Inside you'll find 4 inline fuses - one on the mains and 3 between the control PCB and LED pcb.

Having said that, the fuses were OK on mine, all the connections seem fine, and the output from the transformer was OK. I couldn't be bothered investigating further, and the unit is now boxed up ready to return to Thomann....

Let me know if you find the fault on yours!

To open it up, you need a small thin spanner, which you push down between the LED panel and the casing to stop that nut spinning.

Arse

It's a nyloc nut.

More arse.

I'll have a look soon and let you know how I get on.

If I remember correctly, it's a 7mm spanner you need. The one I used was the second-smallest one in one of those "dozen cheap spanners, specially manufactured from monkey metal" that you can buy cheaply in markets and pound shops.

http://www.goods-4-u.co.uk/acatalog/wr279.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

I was a bit eager and got the thing apart improvising with some scissors to hold the nyloc (!). After metering, one of the fuses had blown on the LED board which I've replaced. It works now.

Off to invest in some cheap diddy spanners to get it back together tomorrow.

Another Blue-Room triumph.

Is it worth considering Epoxy-ing the nut to the frame so you don't need a spanner to hold it should you ever need to take it apart again?

Archived